Dallas in Dallas County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
W. P. Cochran Homeplace
Once surrounded by cultivated fields, this residence was built for William P. Cochran (1841 - 1906), whose father bought the land in 1851 and whose mother Nancy Jane Cochran donated a portion of it for Cochran Chapel Methodist Church in 1856. This frame Victorian house, erected in 1895, was occupied by Cochran, his wife Amanda (1846 - 1930), and their large family. In 1964 their granddaughter Anne A. Cochran sold the structure to the adjacent church.
Erected 1976 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 6653.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 32° 51.8′ N, 96° 50.227′ W. Marker is in Dallas, Texas, in Dallas County. Marker can be reached from Midway Road. The house is on the property of the Cochran Chapel United Methodist Church. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 9027 Midway Road, Dallas TX 75209, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Cochran Chapel Methodist Church (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Cochran Chapel CemeteryGarvin Memorial Cemetery (approx. half a mile away); Ursuline Academy (approx. 1.4 miles away); Love Field Airman Memorial (approx. 1.6 miles away); Texas’ First Airmail and Passenger Service (approx. 1.6 miles away); Love Field (approx. 1.6 miles away); Oath of Office of President Johnson (approx. 1.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Dallas.
Credits. This page was last revised on May 3, 2020. It was originally submitted on May 2, 2020, by Kayla Harper of Dallas, Texas. This page has been viewed 61 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on May 2, 2020, by Kayla Harper of Dallas, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.