Hanover in York County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
In the interest of the preservation of wildlife we here dedicate this memorial to the ill-fated passenger pigeon which from earliest pioneer days until the 1880s flocked to these Pigeon Hills. This migratory bird, now extinct, was once so plentiful its numbers darkened the skies.
Dedicated Sunday, October 12, 1947, By the Boy Scouts of America Conewago District of the York - Adams Area Council.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Animals • Communications.
Location. 39° 47.3′ N, 76° 54.05′ W. Marker is in Hanover, Pennsylvania, in York County. Marker can be reached from Marina Drive half a mile from Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Hanover PA 17331, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. A different marker also named Passenger Pigeon (within shouting distance of this marker); The Mary Ann Forge and Furnace (approx. 2 miles away); Gettysburg Campaign (approx. 2.9 miles away); a different marker also named Gettysburg Campaign (approx. 3.7 miles away); Honor Roll (approx. 3.7 miles away); Jefferson Public Square (approx. 3.7 miles away); In Search of Peace (approx. 3.8 miles away); Hanover Civil War Memorial (approx. 3.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Hanover.
1. Pigeon Hills
Be careful not to assume that the Pigeon Hills were named for the passenger pigeon. According to Gibson's 1860 History of York County, the largest landowner was named Pigeon and the hills were undoubtedly named for him.
— Submitted January 1, 2009, by Henry T. McLin of Hanover, Pennsylvania.
Credits. This page was last revised on January 22, 2020. It was originally submitted on January 1, 2009, by Henry T. McLin of Hanover, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 965 times since then and 15 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on January 1, 2009, by Henry T. McLin of Hanover, Pennsylvania. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.