Valley Springs in Calaveras County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
← 1 Mile
Erected by Department of Public Works – Division of Highways. (Marker Number 264.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Places. In addition, it is included in the California Historical Landmarks series list. A significant historical date for this entry is February 18, 1701.
Location. 38° 12.311′ N, 120° 47.469′ W. Marker is in Valley Springs, California, in Calaveras County. Marker is on State Highway 12/26 west of Double Springs Road, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Valley Springs CA 95252, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Valley Spring (approx. 2.3 miles away); a different marker also named Double Springs (approx. 2.7 miles away); Campo Seco (approx. 3.7 miles away); Paloma (Fosteria) (approx. 4.1 miles away); California Pioneers Reinterred from Poverty Bar CemeteryChili Gulch (approx. 5 miles away); San Andreas (approx. 6 miles away); First Restaurant in Town (approx. 6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Valley Springs.
More about this marker. There is a duplicate marker located 2.7 miles east on Highway 12/26. See "Nearby Marker" Double Springs.
There is a marker at Double Springs, installed by the Calaveras County Chamber of Commerce in 1930.
Regarding Double Springs. The building is no longer standing, however a smaller building was built using the original materials and is on display at the Calaveras County Historical Society Museum in San Andreas.
Also see . . . History of Calaveras County. An article on the history of the area. (Submitted on August 23, 2010.)
1. Calaveras County Courthouse - See Photo #3
Information posted at the Courthouse on display at the Calaveras County Historical Society Museum in San Andreas:
Not a reproduction, this building is made of the original wood and panels that came from China in 1849.
There were no sawmills in California at that time, all construction lumber had to be imported.
This structure is made of termite-resistant camphor, all pieces were made in Canton, China and shipped to California in 101 packages.
Originally, it was assembled with interlocking joints; no nails were used. Actual size was 13ft. by 26ft.
For this display the, the size was reduced to fit the museum space.
— Submitted August 23, 2010.
Credits. This page was last revised on May 4, 2020. It was originally submitted on August 23, 2010, by Syd Whittle of Mesa, Arizona. This page has been viewed 1,146 times since then and 62 times this year. Last updated on May 3, 2020, by Craig Baker of Sylmar, California. Photos: 1. submitted on May 2, 2020, by Craig Baker of Sylmar, California. 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on August 23, 2010, by Syd Whittle of Mesa, Arizona.