Grace Lutheran Church
Grace is the first Lutheran congregation in the State of Alabama. Organized by German immigrants, the first service was held on October 6, 1867 in the Seaman's Bethel in Mobile. The first Pastor was Theodore Heischmann. The name chosen for the congregation at the time was Freie Deutsche Evangelische Lutherische Gemeinde zu Mobile, Alabama. All services and meetings were conducted in the German language until 1876 when services began alternating between German and English. The last services conducted in German were in 1940. The name was changed to Grace Evangelical Lutheran Church in 1918. The congregation constructed its first building in 1868 on St. Francis Street, between Warren and Dearborn Streets. The current sanctuary was constructed in 1953.
Grace Lutheran is a member of the Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod (LCMS). The LCMS was founded in 1847 when Saxon and other German immigrants created a new church body in America which allowed them freedom to practice confessional Lutheranism. The first constitution of The German Evangelical Lutheran Synod of Missouri, Ohio and Other States was signed in Chicago, IL on April 26,
Placed to commemorate the 150th anniversary of the congregation
Erected 2017 by Grace Lutheran Church.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical date for this entry is October 6, 1867.
Location. 30° 40.907′ N, 88° 4.129′ W. Marker is in Mobile, Alabama, in Mobile County. Marker is at the intersection of Government Street (U.S. 90) and Espejo Street, on the right when traveling west on Government Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1356 Government Street, Mobile AL 36604, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Shepard House (approx. 0.4 miles away); Magnolia Cemetery (approx. half a mile away); Oakleigh (approx. half a mile away); Jewish Rest Magnolia Cemetery (approx. 0.6 miles away); Battle of Fort Blakely Monument (approx. 0.6 miles away); CSS Alabama Memorial (approx. 0.6 miles away); Crew of CSS H. L. Hunley Memorial (approx. 0.6 miles away); Battle of Mobile Bay Memorial (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Mobile.
Credits. This page was last revised on August 30, 2020. It was originally submitted on May 3, 2020, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. This page has been viewed 295 times since then and 101 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on May 3, 2020, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. • Mark Hilton was the editor who published this page.