Dallas in Dallas County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Cochran Chapel Methodist Church
On first Dallas County site deeded (1856) for a Methodist Church. Donor was a widow, Nancy Jane Cochran. First edifice (30' x 40') was built by church men, of lumber hauled by wagons from Jefferson (150 mi. E.) and dedicated in 1858. The Sunday School dates from 1879. Later buildings were erected in 1885, 1924 and (annex) 1955.
Erected 1970 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 6652.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion.
Location. 32° 51.729′ N, 96° 50.176′ W. Marker is in Dallas, Texas, in Dallas County. Marker is on Midway Road, on the right when traveling south. The marker is south of the church at the cemetery entrance. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 9027 Midway Road, Dallas TX 75220, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Cochran Chapel Cemetery (here, next to this marker); W. P. Cochran Homeplace (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Garvin Memorial Cemetery (approx. half a mile away); Ursuline AcademyLove Field Airman Memorial (approx. 1½ miles away); Texas’ First Airmail and Passenger Service (approx. 1½ miles away); Love Field (approx. 1½ miles away); Oath of Office of President Johnson (approx. 1½ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Dallas.
Credits. This page was last revised on May 4, 2020. It was originally submitted on May 3, 2020, by Kayla Harper of Dallas, Texas. This page has been viewed 65 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on May 3, 2020, by Kayla Harper of Dallas, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.