Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near New Paltz in Ulster County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

The “Owl” Church

 
 
The “Owl” Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Steve Stoessel, May 3, 2020
1. The “Owl” Church Marker
Inscription.  Site of the "Owl” Church. Conferentia church party organized 1767, to maintain contact with Classis of North Amsterdam, Holland. Joined Paltz Church, 1783.
 
Erected 1935 by State Education Department.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical year for this entry is 1767.
 
Location. 41° 43.894′ N, 74° 6.737′ W. Marker is near New Paltz, New York, in Ulster County. Marker is on Libertyville Road (County Route 7) one mile south of New York State Route 299, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: New Paltz NY 12561, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Ulster County Alive (approx. 1.6 miles away); 1799 House (approx. 1.8 miles away); Walloon Church (approx. 1.8 miles away); New Paltz (approx. 1.8 miles away); Jean Hasbrouck House (approx. 1.8 miles away); New Paltz Patentees (approx. 1.8 miles away); a different marker also named New Paltz (approx. 1.8 miles away); Deyo House (approx. 1.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in New Paltz.
 
Regarding The “Owl” Church.
The “Owl” Church Marker and Site image. Click for full size.
By Steve Stoessel
2. The “Owl” Church Marker and Site
Click or scan to see
this page online
In the early 1760’s, the Dutch Church in New Paltz split over a matter of reporting to the Old Church in Holland. The Conferentia Party favored maintaining links and allegiance to the European churches (the Classis) but the majority in New Paltz did not. So a new church was built here by the Conferentia Party. It was probably called the Owl Church because this site was frequented by owls. The feud didn’t end until 1783.
 
Also see . . .  Letter from Johannes Mauritus Goetschius to Henricus Dubois concerning a complaint 1765. (Submitted on May 4, 2020, by Steve Stoessel of Niskayuna, New York.)
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on May 13, 2020. It was originally submitted on May 4, 2020, by Steve Stoessel of Niskayuna, New York. This page has been viewed 145 times since then and 71 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on May 4, 2020, by Steve Stoessel of Niskayuna, New York. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.

Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=149355

Paid Advertisement
May. 7, 2021