Orem in Utah County, Utah — The American Mountains (Southwest)
First Orem Chapel
Timpanogos, an Indian word meaning many waters, was the name given by the Indians to the entire valley as well as the beautiful mountain standing at the northeast border of the valley.
Plans were made in 1895 to erect the meetinghouse. The land for the new building was donated by Thomas Jefferson Patten, Sr., nephew of the Apostle David W. Patten. Peter Mastin Wentz, called as the first bishop, and his sons made some of the brick for the building and the adobe lining. The various hues now apparent in the restored brick face show that they were made in small batches. The style of the church with its lovely gothic windows and tower was typical of the architecture of the day. The building measured fifty-two feet by thirty-six feet. Balls of carpet rags were donated and these were placed on hand looms to make rugs that added comfort and beauty to the new chapel. Window
This chapel has been remodeled, renovated and added to throughout the years to accommodate members. From the original Timpanogos Ward has come a growing number of wards and stakes.
Erected 1990 by Daughters of Utah Pioneers, North Center Utah Company. (Marker Number 455.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. In addition, it is included in the Daughters of Utah Pioneers series list. A significant historical date for this entry is November 8, 1885.
Location. 40° 16.933′ N, 111° 41.087′ W. Marker is in Orem, Utah, in Utah County. Marker is on East 800 South, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 440 East 800 South, Orem UT 84097, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Pioneer Cemetery (approx. 1.7 miles away); Provo's Mormon Pioneers (approx. 3 miles away); First Tabernacle (approx. 3 miles away); Craghead Field (approx. 3 miles away); Brigham Young Academy Square (approx. 3.2 miles away); Fort Utah (approx. 3.3 miles away); The Octogon House (approx. 3.4 miles away); Provo Woolen Mills (approx. 3˝ miles away).
Credits. This page was last revised on May 6, 2020. It was originally submitted on May 6, 2020, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 52 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on May 6, 2020, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona.