Amarillo in Potter County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
This two-story residence was constructed in 1914 for Kentucky native John Malcolm Shelton (1852-1923), a prominent Panhandle cattleman and businessman. Built by W.M. Rice, it was designed by Amarillo architect Joseph Champ Berry. Following Shelton's death, the house was inherited by his daughter Martha, the wife of rancher Ted Houghton. She resided here until 1965. Built of brick, the home features detailing of the Prairie style.
Erected 1980 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 2579.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Industry & Commerce.
Location. 35° 11.718′ N, 101° 50.382′ W. Marker is in Amarillo, Texas, in Potter County. Marker is on South Polk Street south of SW 17th Avenue, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1700 S Polk Street, Amarillo TX 79102, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Avery and Mary Turner House (within shouting distance of this marker); H. W. and Katie Galbraith House Herring-Crudgington House (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Shuford-Killough House (about 500 feet away); Polk Street United Methodist Church (approx. ¼ mile away); Eakle-Archer House (approx. 0.3 miles away); Jons-Danner-Gilvin House (approx. 0.4 miles away); Polk Street Schools (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Amarillo.
Credits. This page was last revised on May 6, 2020. It was originally submitted on May 6, 2020, by Allen Lowrey of Amarillo, Texas. This page has been viewed 188 times since then and 55 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on May 6, 2020, by Allen Lowrey of Amarillo, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.