Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Farmers Branch in Dallas County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Bill and Maude Dodson House

 
 
Bill and Maude Dodson House Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Kayla Harper, May 8, 2020
1. Bill and Maude Dodson House Marker
Inscription.  

This historic Farmers Branch residence was the home of the city's first mayor. William F. (Bill) Dodson (1895-1949), a native of Malakoff, married Maude Gilmore (1896-1998) in Fort Worth in July 1917. The following May, Bill became a private in the 36th Infantry Division, serving in France's Meuse-Argonne sector during the First World War The Dodsons' son Smith was born in November 1918. After the war, the Dodson family lived in Dallas and became active in real estate and oil. They moved to Farmers Branch in the 1930s and commissioned contractor Ross Faulkner to design a house to Maude's specifications. Completed by 1937, it was originally closer to Farmers Branch Creek but moved to its present site in 1942.

In January 1946, Bill Dodson learned the city of Dallas, with city limits then 12 miles distant, planned to annex the Farmers Branch community. He and his neighbors circulated a petition for a local incorporation election. Citizens voted approval, and in April they elected Dodson the first mayor. H.O. Good, Lawson Lewis, Raymond Milloway, Thomas Reeder and Glenn Templin became the first aldermen. The new city council held
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
three meetings in the Dodson House, with others conducted at Mason Lodge No. 395, where Dodson was a member. During his two-year term as mayor, Farmers Branch hired its first city employees, established a fire department and water system, and joined the League of Texas Municipalities.

Maude stayed in the house until 1983, donating it to the city as the core of a heritage park. The Colonial Revival one-story frame house has telescoping wings, side gables, wood siding, six-over-one windows and a slender pedimented entry with square columns.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 2007
Marker is property of the State of Texas

 
Erected 2007 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 14034.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: ArchitectureSettlements & Settlers.
 
Location. 32° 55.051′ N, 96° 53.607′ W. Marker is in Farmers Branch, Texas, in Dallas County. Marker can be reached from Farmers Branch Lane. The house and marker are located within the grounds of the Farmers Branch Historical Park. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2504 Farmers Branch Lane, Dallas TX 75234, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Gilbert House (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Texian Land and Emigration Company
Bill and Maude Dodson House Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Kayla Harper, May 8, 2020
2. Bill and Maude Dodson House Marker
(approx. 0.4 miles away); David Myers (approx. 0.4 miles away); First Baptist Church of Farmers Branch (approx. 0.4 miles away); John Keenan (approx. 0.4 miles away); Keenan Cemetery (approx. 0.4 miles away); Dallas County's First Methodist Society (approx. 0.4 miles away); Webb Chapel Cemetery (approx. 1.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Farmers Branch.
 
Bill and Maude Dodson House image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Kayla Harper, May 8, 2020
3. Bill and Maude Dodson House
Bill and Maude Dodson House image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Kayla Harper, May 8, 2020
4. Bill and Maude Dodson House
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on May 9, 2020. It was originally submitted on May 8, 2020, by Kayla Harper of Dallas, Texas. This page has been viewed 239 times since then and 62 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on May 8, 2020, by Kayla Harper of Dallas, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=149537

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jun. 21, 2024