Hopewell, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Four Centuries: City Point, Virginia 1613 A.D.
The structure before you was one of three taverns which existed in City Point at the time of the Civil War. It was probably constructed in the eighteenth century. On June 15, 1864 the United States Christian Commission established its offices in this building. In front of the tavern facing the street, the Christian Commission erected a chapel and storehouse. These three buildings comprised the agency's headquarters.
The Christian Commission was an interdenominational organization devoted to fostering religion and morality in the Union army. Its duties included the distribution of non-military supplies to the troops, the operation of special diet kitchens at the hospitals and visits with sick and wounded patients. The Christian Commission had relief stations within each army corps and at Bermuda Hundred, Point of Rocks, the Depot Field Hospital and the dismounted cavalry camp at Bailey's Creek.
The tavern pictured here was located behind you, diagonally across the street. This building served as the headquarters of Captain E.E. Camp who was in charge of Camp and Garrison Equipage including items such as tents, shovels,
E.E. Camp's headquarters draped in black because of Lincoln's assassination.
The Bank of City Point (now apartments) was built in 1915 on the site of the unidentified tavern.
This building (left) stood on the west side of Prince Henry between Maplewood and Bank Streets. Very similar in appearance to the City Point House, this structure may have once been a tavern. Its use by the Army is not known. However, most of the buildings were taken over as offices for the Commissary Department or the provost marshal.
Soldiers & Civilians pose in front of Camp's headquarters.
Erected 2013 by City of Hopewell, Commonwealth of Virginia.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • War, US Civil. A significant historical date for this entry is June 15, 1864.
Location. 37° 18.896′ N, 77° 16.463′ W. Marker is in Hopewell, Virginia. Marker is on Prince Henry Avenue just north of Maplewood Avenue, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1101 Maple Ave, Hopewell VA 23860, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Housing Several Thousand Federal Troops (here, next to this marker); Women At City Point (within shouting distance of this marker); One Soldier, One Family, One War (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); City Point's Wiseman Family (about 400 feet away); Historic City Point (about 400 feet away); Quartermaster Repair Shops (about 500 feet away); Dr. Peter Eppes House (about 500 feet away); Clearing the Way (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Hopewell.
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker. This marker has replaced the linked marker.
Credits. This page was last revised on May 9, 2020. It was originally submitted on May 9, 2020, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. This page has been viewed 46 times since then and 9 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on May 9, 2020, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia.