Rowlett in Dallas County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
City of Rowlett
Rowlett was first known as Morris, the name given to the post office that was established here in 1880. Austin Morris served as the first postmaster. In 1889, three years after the Greenville & Dallas Railroad (later the MK&T) was built through town, the post office's name was changed to Rowlett. Although the origin of the name is not clear, it may have come from Daniel Owen Rowlett, an early Texas settler who was a surveyor for Mercer's Colony.
By the turn of the century, Rowlett had two doctors, a cotton gin, three general stores, a barber shop, blacksmith shop, two churches, a depot, and the post office. Additionally, by 1912 it boasted a bank, a telephone exchange, and a two-story school building. Many more businesses, including a newspaper (the "Rowlett News"), had begun in the town by 1937. The citizens of Rowlett voted to incorporate in 1952, and growth has continued throughout the 20th century.
Lake Ray Hubbard, Dallas' chief source of water, was completed in 1971 and borders Rowlett on its east, south, and west sides. The history of the northeastern Dallas County town is a good reflection of the settlement patterns
Texas Sesquicentennial 1836-1986
Erected 1986 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 6852.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 32° 54.15′ N, 96° 33.808′ W. Marker is in Rowlett, Texas, in Dallas County. Marker can be reached from Southridge Drive, on the right when traveling north. The marker faces the northern side of Rowlett City Hall. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 4000 Main Street, Rowlett TX 75088, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Herfurth House (approx. 1.2 miles away); Mills Cemetery (approx. 2.1 miles away); Sacred Heart Catholic Church of Rowlett (approx. 2.3 miles away); Anderson Family Cemetery (approx. 3.4 miles away); Garland Lodge No. 441, A.F. & A.M. (approx. 3.9 miles away); Roach Feed & Seed Co. (approx. 4.3 miles away); Bankhead Highway in Garland (approx. 4.4 miles away); Garland (approx. 4.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Rowlett.
Credits. This page was last revised on May 11, 2020. It was originally submitted on May 10, 2020, by Kayla Harper of Dallas, Texas. This page has been viewed 342 times since then and 104 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on May 10, 2020, by Kayla Harper of Dallas, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.