Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Nibley in Cache County, Utah — The American Mountains (Southwest)
 

Original Church Farm

 
 
Original Church Farm Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Cosmos Mariner, July 22, 2016
1. Original Church Farm Marker
Inscription.  In July, 1855, the first settlers in Cache Valley, 23 men and 2 women under the leadership of Martin Ensign and Bryant Stringham came to Willow Valley with about 2000 cattle, established Elk Horn Ranch near some fine springs, located about one mile northwest of this spot and built the first house in the valley. An early and severe winter killed most of the cattle. Only 450 were alive in 1856. October 9, 1899, this property was deeded to Brigham Young College.

Sun Flower Camp

 
Erected 1941 by Daughters of Utah Pioneers. (Marker Number 68.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Daughters of Utah Pioneers series list. A significant historical month for this entry is July 1855.
 
Location. 41° 40.501′ N, 111° 50.861′ W. Marker is in Nibley, Utah, in Cache County. Marker is on West 3200 South west of South 600 West, on the right when traveling west. Marker is located beside the sidewalk, directly in front of the Nibley City Public Works
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
building. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 625 West 3200 South, Logan UT 84321, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Millville (approx. one mile away); The Old Rock Church (approx. 2.7 miles away); The Providence Players (approx. 2.7 miles away); Providence Pioneers (approx. 2.8 miles away); Elite Hall (approx. 2.9 miles away); The Great Fur Cache (approx. 2.9 miles away); Hyrum Smith (approx. 2.9 miles away); Cache County Relic Hall (approx. 3.8 miles away).
 
Also see . . .  Nibley, Utah (Wikipedia). In 1855, the Utah Territorial Legislature granted Cache Valley to Brigham Young as a herd ground for his increasing numbers of cattle. A company of cattle owners was organized to take cattle to Cache Valley. The site they chose was located near the Blacksmith Fork River by some springs about a mile northwest of the Nibley Ward Chapel. The ranch they established was named the Elk Horn Ranch and became the first Mormon settlement in the valley. A severe winter forced abandonment of most of this early settlement, except for a few settlers. Those left at the ranch suffered during this severe winter, as food became dangerously low. When spring came, barley was planted.
Original Church Farm Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Cosmos Mariner, July 22, 2016
2. Original Church Farm Marker
This venture, like the ranching, was also unsuccessful. (Submitted on May 10, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.) 
 
Nibley City Public Works image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Cosmos Mariner, July 22, 2016
3. Nibley City Public Works
(located directly behind marker)
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on May 10, 2020. It was originally submitted on May 10, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 186 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on May 10, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=149769

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 21, 2024