San Marcos in Hays County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Site of Hays County's First Public Building
Of elm, cedar and cypress, and built for church and school, the cabin had a floor of dirt, later one of puncheons (split logs). It was used as courthouse after Hays County was created 1848.
County and district courts met in the building until 1861.
Presbyterian and Baptist churches were organized here. Nearby was a stagecoach stop.
Confederate Army recruits were trained in the area, using this house as headquarters.
Structure burned in 1874, after falling into disuse by public.
Erected 1967 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 10274.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings. A significant historical year for this entry is 1847.
Location. 29° 53.105′ N, 97° 56.272′ W. Marker is in San Marcos, Texas, in Hays County. Marker is on Moon Street near East Hutchison Street, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: San Marcos TX 78666, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. In Commemoration of the Tonkawa and Chief Placido ("Ha-shu-ka-na") Old Fish Hatchery Office Building (about 600 feet away); Old Cock Home (about 600 feet away); Mexican War Camp at San Marcos (about 600 feet away); The Charles S. Cock House Museum (about 700 feet away); The Dr. Eli T. Merriman Log Cabin (about 800 feet away); Beverly Hutchison House (approx. 0.2 miles away); First National Bank of San Marcos (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in San Marcos.
Credits. This page was last revised on May 11, 2020. It was originally submitted on May 11, 2020, by Larry D. Moore of Del Valle, Texas. This page has been viewed 85 times since then and 24 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on May 11, 2020, by Larry D. Moore of Del Valle, Texas.