San Marcos in Hays County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
First National Bank of San Marcos
Green was a trustee on the board of Southwest Texas State University, mayor of San Marcos, and president of the school board. After Green retired in 1909, a three-story building was constructed on the southeast corner of the square and was occupied for 66 years. In 1975 the bank moved into its new facility on the same block.
Other presidents who were instrumental in the growth of the bank during its history included: S. Woodall, Alvy L. Blair, Robert Earl McKie, Jack Harper and Bruce F. Harper. This bank is
Erected 1979 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 10272.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Industry & Commerce. A significant historical date for this entry is May 6, 1879.
Location. 29° 52.976′ N, 97° 56.332′ W. Marker is in San Marcos, Texas, in Hays County. Marker is on North Edward Gary Street near East Hopkins Street (State Highway 80), on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 123 N Edward Gary St, San Marcos TX 78666, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Old Cock Home (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Dr. Eli T. Merriman Log Cabin (about 600 feet away); The Charles S. Cock House Museum (about 600 feet away); Mexican War Camp at San Marcos (about 600 feet away); The Courthouses of Hays County (about 700 feet away); The Old Triangle (about 700 feet away); Site of Hays County's First Public Building (approx. 0.2 miles away); Founding of the First Methodist Church (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in San Marcos.
Credits. This page was last revised on May 12, 2020. It was originally submitted on May 12, 2020, by Larry D. Moore of Del Valle, Texas. This page has been viewed 90 times since then and 17 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on May 12, 2020, by Larry D. Moore of Del Valle, Texas.