Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
San Marcos in Hays County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Wesley Chapel A. M. E. Church

 
 
Wesley Chapel A. M. E. Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Larry D. Moore, May 11, 2020
1. Wesley Chapel A. M. E. Church Marker
Inscription.  Wesley Chapel African Methodist Episcopal Church traces its history to 1875, and is believed to be the oldest African American congregation in San Marcos. The first church building was erected on this site in 1879, and later was replaced by a succession of structures. The church operated a Freedmen's school for former slaves and their children in the 1870s, and has continued to support numerous community and charitable endeavors through the years. It remains an important part of the history of San Marcos and Hays County.
 
Erected 1992. (Marker Number 10335.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African AmericansChurches & Religion. In addition, it is included in the African Methodist Episcopal (AME) Church series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1875.
 
Location. 29° 52.753′ N, 97° 56.539′ W. Marker is in San Marcos, Texas, in Hays County. Marker is at the intersection of South Fredericksburg Street and Centre Street, on the right when traveling south on South Fredericksburg Street.
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 224 S Fredericksburg St, San Marcos TX 78666, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Eddie Durham (within shouting distance of this marker); Ulysses Cephas (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Calaboose (about 300 feet away); Simon Ford Building (approx. 0.2 miles away); Green and Faris Buildings (approx. ¼ mile away); 131 North Guadalupe (approx. ¼ mile away); Ragsdale-Jackman-Yarbrough House (approx. ¼ mile away); Hays County Courthouse District (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in San Marcos.
 
Wesley Chapel A. M. E. Church and Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Larry D. Moore, May 11, 2020
2. Wesley Chapel A. M. E. Church and Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on July 16, 2020. It was originally submitted on May 12, 2020, by Larry D. Moore of Del Valle, Texas. This page has been viewed 337 times since then and 32 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on May 12, 2020, by Larry D. Moore of Del Valle, Texas.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=149884

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 19, 2024