“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
San Marcos in Hays County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)

Southside School

Southside School Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Larry D. Moore, May 11, 2020
1. Southside School Marker
Inscription.  During the first half of the 20th century, San Marcos, like most communities across the United States, segregated its school facilities. Mexican-American children were first taught in a school building previously used by the community’s African-American students in 1901. During the next thirty years, students were educated in several structures around San Marcos.

In the summer of 1948, the city approved a bond that would build a new facility for Mexican-American children. That same summer, members of the Mexican-American community petitioned the board of trustees to integrate public schools, believing the new school building would perpetuate segregation. In spite of this protest, Southside School was completed in 1949. Designed by Harvey P. Smith of San Antonio, and built by J.M. Odom construction company, the school was built of vertical cell clay tile with a stucco-like appearance.

The seven-classroom school not only educated students, it eventually housed programs designed to provide all children with opportunities for success regardless of their heritage, economic status, home language, or disability. The school also
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
provided adult education classes at night, including an English language course. In 1965, the school’s name was changed to Bonham. The following year, it became one of the first schools in Texas to offer a bilingual education program for students, regardless of race. In the 1980s, Bonham school began to educate exclusively for pre-school aged children and adopted a program for children with disabilities in the 1990s. Since 2009, the building has housed the Centro Cultural Hispano de San Marcos community organization.
Erected 2011 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 16941.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: EducationHispanic Americans. A significant historical year for this entry is 1901.
Location. 29° 52.487′ N, 97° 56.292′ W. Marker is in San Marcos, Texas, in Hays County. Marker is on Lee Street east of South LBJ Drive, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 211 West Lee Street, San Marcos TX 78666, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Farmers Union Gin Company (approx. 0.2 miles away); Wesley Chapel A. M. E. Church (approx. 0.4 miles away); Eddie Durham (approx. 0.4 miles away); Ulysses Cephas (approx. 0.4 miles away); The Calaboose
Southside School Marker Area image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Larry D. Moore, May 11, 2020
2. Southside School Marker Area
(approx. 0.4 miles away); Rio Vista Dam (approx. half a mile away); Hays County Courthouse District (approx. half a mile away); Green and Faris Buildings (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in San Marcos.
Credits. This page was last revised on May 13, 2020. It was originally submitted on May 13, 2020, by Larry D. Moore of Del Valle, Texas. This page has been viewed 144 times since then and 20 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on May 13, 2020, by Larry D. Moore of Del Valle, Texas.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from qualified purchases you make on Thank you.
Paid Advertisements

Nov. 29, 2023