Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Staples in Guadalupe County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Camp Clark, C.S.A.

 
 
Camp Clark, C.S.A. Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Larry D. Moore, May 11, 2020
1. Camp Clark, C.S.A. Marker
Inscription.  Named for Edward Clark, first Confederate governor of Texas, whose executive order June 8, 1861, created voluntary camps of instruction such as this. Food, camp facilities and guns were voluntary gifts by local people. Farmers, merchants, artisans, laborers gave goods and services. Men with military training and experience gave their time as drillmasters.

This and 50 or 60 other camps of instruction mainly taught walking to Texans brought up with the habit of moving about on horseback. (6 out of 10 Texans joined the Cavalry. Governor Clark felt compelled to say in his executive order that infantry service was actually a matter of honor.)

Operated despite scorn of 18 to 35 year old recruits who had fought Indians most of their lives and were impatient for battle -- not for training.

Though neither Texas nor the Confederacy in 1861 had funds for camps of instruction, by 1862 privates were paid $11 a month, officers $50.

This Guadalupe County camp of instruction was convenient to roads and to water. Area units that trained here included Co. D, 4th Texas Infantry, of Hood's famous Texas Brigade, and 4th
Camp Clark, C.S.A. Marker Area image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Larry D. Moore, May 11, 2020
2. Camp Clark, C.S.A. Marker Area
Click or scan to see
this page online
Texas Cavalry (Partisan) under Captain William P. Hardeman.
 
Erected 1965 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 654.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil. A significant historical date for this entry is June 8, 1861.
 
Location. 29° 46.982′ N, 97° 50.255′ W. Marker is in Staples, Texas, in Guadalupe County. Marker is on Farm to Market Road 621 west of Staples Drive, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Staples TX 78670, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Humphreys Cemetery (approx. 3.6 miles away); Redwood Cemetery (approx. 4˝ miles away); Kings Highway (approx. 6.1 miles away); Charles Lewis McGehee Cabin (approx. 6.2 miles away); Lt. Zebulon M. Pike (approx. 6.2 miles away); Site of the First Town of San Marcos (approx. 6.2 miles away); Prairie Lea United Methodist Church (approx. 6.3 miles away); Col. Ignacio Elizondo’s 1813 Campaign (approx. 6.4 miles away).
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on May 13, 2020. It was originally submitted on May 13, 2020, by Larry D. Moore of Del Valle, Texas. This page has been viewed 116 times since then and 31 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on May 13, 2020, by Larry D. Moore of Del Valle, Texas.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=149933

Paid Advertisements
 
 

Jul. 2, 2022