Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Garland in Dallas County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

First Baptist Church of Garland

 
 
First Baptist Church of Garland Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Kayla Harper, May 10, 2020
1. First Baptist Church of Garland Marker
Inscription.  

Baptists in the pioneer Duck Creek community began meeting regularly in a log schoolhouse probably as early as the 1850s. On March 8, 1868, sixteen Baptists assembled in the schoolhouse and formally organized Antioch Baptist Church, calling W. B. Long as their first pastor. The first church house was built in 1870. Sunday School classes began in 1873, and a Ladies' Aid Society was organized in 1883. The church moved into the rapidly growing new town of Garland in 1890 and began to flourish.

In 1904 the congregation divided amicably into two equal groups after a conflict about the best course for mission work. Antioch Baptist and First Baptist Church of Garland were reunited in 1915 as Garland Baptist Church. The church prospered with the community. The Ladies' Aid Society and other groups within the congregation worked to raise funds to support the church and its programs. A more modern church building was erected in 1930. The church assumed the name First Baptist Church of Garland in 1946 as other Baptist churches were begun in the city. A fourth worship center was built in 1953, followed by educational facilities in 1958,
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
1963, 1980 and 1996.

By 1999, the church had assisted in establishing 19 missions. Many of those grew into large Garland churches. First Baptist Church continues to serve the local community and the larger world through numerous worship, outreach and mission programs. Creative Sunday School programs and a variety of worship experiences are designed to meet the changing spiritual needs of the city in the 21st century.
 
Erected 1999 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 11823.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion.
 
Location. 32° 54.548′ N, 96° 38.468′ W. Marker is in Garland, Texas, in Dallas County. Marker is on West Avenue D, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 801 W Avenue D, Garland TX 75040, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. First Presbyterian Church, USA (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); First Methodist Church of Garland (about 700 feet away); Public Education in Garland (about 700 feet away); Travis College Hill Addition (approx. 0.2 miles away); First Christian Church of Garland (approx. 0.2 miles away); Garland (approx.
First Baptist Church of Garland Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Kayla Harper, May 10, 2020
2. First Baptist Church of Garland Marker
0.4 miles away); Roach Feed & Seed Co. (approx. 0.4 miles away); A. J. Head Service Station (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Garland.
 
First Baptist Church of Garland image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Kayla Harper, May 10, 2020
3. First Baptist Church of Garland
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on May 14, 2020. It was originally submitted on May 13, 2020, by Kayla Harper of Dallas, Texas. This page has been viewed 378 times since then and 38 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on May 13, 2020, by Kayla Harper of Dallas, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=149941

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 15, 2024