Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Lehi in Utah County, Utah — The American Mountains (Southwest)
 

Lehi Hotel

 
 
Lehi Hotel Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, October 2, 2018
1. Lehi Hotel Marker
Inscription.  The Lehi Hotel is the oldest standing Adobe Hotel between Salt Lake City and Denver. As early as 1853, Joseph Johnson Smith operated a blacksmith and wagon shop on this site, which was inside the western wall of Lehi Fort. John Woodhouse expanded the shop into a general store in 1865, which he operated until 1886. Some of the building materials were surplus from Camp Floyd and are evident in the hotel today.
In 1887, Joseph Johnson Smith built a hotel for Sarah Ann Lilliard Smith, his plural wife. The hotel, convenient to the railroad, was referred to as the finest “sample” hotel in the territory. The two front rooms were used by drummers to display and sell their wares. Business was sometimes conducted through a low window on the east side of the building. Many businesses have occupied part of the building, including a saloon, a cigar and candy shop, a cafe, and a dentist office.
In 1929, Mary (Mame) Alice Smuin Thomas purchased the building for a family dwelling. When her children were grown, she periodically rented rooms. It was no longer used as a home after the 1960’s.
Carl and Dimple Mellor purchased the
Lehi Hotel Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, October 2, 2018
2. Lehi Hotel Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
property from Lyall and Audrey Thomas Wilson family in 1997. They researched the hotel’s history and restored the original portion as authentically as possible. Some pioneer history can be seen through glass windows in the floor where the foundation of the old blacksmith and remains of an old pioneer well still exist. The outside of the original building remains the same.
 
Erected 2001 by Daughters of Utah Pioneers. (Marker Number 533.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings. In addition, it is included in the Daughters of Utah Pioneers series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1853.
 
Location. 40° 23.27′ N, 111° 51.289′ W. Marker is in Lehi, Utah, in Utah County. Marker is on West Main Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 394 West Main Street, Lehi UT 84043, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Lehi Relief Society Hall (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Lehi Meeting House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Merrihew/Dalley Building (approx. ¼ mile away); Bishop David Evans (approx. 0.3 miles away); Lehi Memorial Building (approx. 0.3 miles away); John Austin Cabin (approx. 0.3 miles away); Utah Southern Railroad Depot
Lehi Hotel image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, October 2, 2018
3. Lehi Hotel
(approx. ¾ mile away); Frank H. Eastmond Park (approx. 0.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lehi.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on May 14, 2020. It was originally submitted on May 14, 2020, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 47 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on May 14, 2020, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona.

Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=149974

Paid Advertisement
May. 18, 2021