Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Quincy in Adams County, Illinois — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Original Site of St. Peter Church

 
 
Original Site of St. Peter Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Jason Voigt, May 11, 2020
1. Original Site of St. Peter Church Marker
Inscription.  Founded in 1839 to serve the Irish Catholics of Quincy. Here runaway slave Augustine Tolton attended school, was confirmed and worked until he entered the seminary and became the first negro priest in the United States.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African AmericansChurches & Religion. A significant historical year for this entry is 1839.
 
Location. 39° 55.906′ N, 91° 24.21′ W. Marker is in Quincy, Illinois, in Adams County. Marker is at the intersection of Maine Street and 8th Street, on the right when traveling east on Maine Street. Marker is mounted to the Quincy City Hall building. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 730 Maine St, Quincy IL 62301, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Original Site of Quincy College (within shouting distance of this marker); World Trade Center Artifact (within shouting distance of this marker); Ernest M. Wood Office and Studio (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Augustine Tolton (about 400 feet away); St. Boniface Catholic Church (about
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
400 feet away); Lincoln's Confidante (about 500 feet away); In Memory of the Potawatomi Indian "Trail of Death" (about 500 feet away); Warm, Sincere Friendship (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Quincy.
 
Regarding Original Site of St. Peter Church. St. Peter Church and School is located at 25th and Maine Streets (2600 Maine St.), and has been since its opening in 1961. Quincy's City Hall now sits at the former church grounds.
 
Also see . . .  Irish Church: St. Lawrence becomes St. Peter. From the Quincy & Adams County Historical Society's website, this talks about the church's history, as written by Joseph P. Coffey. (Submitted on May 15, 2020, by Jason Voigt of Glen Carbon, Illinois.) 
 
Original Site of St. Peter Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Jason Voigt, May 11, 2020
2. Original Site of St. Peter Church Marker
Red arrow shows to where the marker is
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on May 15, 2020. It was originally submitted on May 15, 2020, by Jason Voigt of Glen Carbon, Illinois. This page has been viewed 239 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on May 15, 2020, by Jason Voigt of Glen Carbon, Illinois. • Devry Becker Jones was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=150019

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Feb. 25, 2024