Lehi in Utah County, Utah — The American Mountains (Southwest)
Utah Southern Railroad Depot
The effect of the Utah Southern on Lehi was dramatic. For almost a year the town served as the terminus for the line. Teamsters and bullwackers transported goods to and from points south as well as timber and ores from the rich mines in American Fork Canyon and the Tintic District. Many local men found employment in the freighting and forwarding business. Dozens of saloons, boarding houses and shops sprang up along State Street.
From 1872-73 the American Fork Railroad operated a narrow-gauge branch feeder line on the Utah Southern
This Utah Southern Railroad Depot, the oldest restored railroad building in Utah and the only surviving depot of the Mormon railroad empire of the 1870s and 1880s, was restored in 2000 by the Lehi Historical Preservation Commission, a political subdivision of Lehi City Corporation. This station is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Erected 2001 by Lehi Historical Preservation Commission.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Railroads & Streetcars. A significant historical date for this entry is May 1, 1871.
Location. 40° 23.789′ N, 111° 50.736′ W. Marker is in Lehi, Utah, in Utah County. Marker is on East State Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 257 East State Street, Lehi UT 84043, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Frank H. Eastmond Park (a few steps from this marker); Lehi Cemetery Bishop David Evans (approx. half a mile away); John Austin Cabin (approx. 0.6 miles away); Lehi Memorial Building (approx. 0.6 miles away); Merrihew/Dalley Building (approx. 0.6 miles away); Lehi Relief Society Hall (approx. 0.7 miles away); Lehi Hotel (approx. ¾ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lehi.
Credits. This page was last revised on May 16, 2020. It was originally submitted on May 16, 2020, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 56 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on May 16, 2020, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona.