Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Fredericton in York County, New Brunswick — The Atlantic Provinces (North America)
 

Albion House 1871

 
 
Albion House 1871 Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Cosmos Mariner, July 30, 2019
1. Albion House 1871 Marker
Inscription.  Best known as the Fred B. Edgecombe Dry Goods Store, Albion House was built after a major fire in 1871. The building was leased to Colwell and Jennings Ltd. Home Furnishings in 1920. In 1950 it became the J.D. Creaghan Co. Department Store. Rebuilt by Charles J. Khoury in 1990, the present building, constructed on this historic site, incorporates elements of the original structure in the interior.

It is now a unique retail and office complex.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings. A significant historical year for this entry is 1871.
 
Location. 45° 57.724′ N, 66° 38.611′ W. Marker is in Fredericton, New Brunswick, in York County. Marker is on King Street east of York Street, on the left when traveling east. Marker is mounted at eye-level beside entrance to subject property. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 415 King Street, Fredericton NB E3B 1E5, Canada. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Fredericton City Hall / L'Hôtel de ville de Fredericton (about 150 meters away, measured in a direct line); The 104th Regiment / Le 104e Régiment (about 180 meters away); Fredericton Military Compound / Le Complexe Militaire de Frédéricton
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
(about 210 meters away); St. Paul's United Church (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); Epic Winter March of New Brunswick Soldiers in the War of 1812 (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); Birthplace of the Canadian Army (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); Juliana Horatia (Gatty) Ewing (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); Charles Rainsford's Brave Rescue (approx. 0.3 kilometers away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fredericton.
 
More about this marker. There are two identical copies of this marker: this one at the King Street (south) end of the building, and another at the Queen Street (north) end of the building.
 
Also see . . .  Edgecomb's Dry Goods, ca. 1900. (this link includes vintage post card photo of Queen Street, showing Edgecomb's Dry Goods Store at this site) (Submitted on May 21, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.) 
 
Albion House 1871 Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Cosmos Mariner, July 30, 2019
2. Albion House 1871 Marker
(marker visible just left of entrance)
New Retail & Office Complex at Former Albion House Site image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Cosmos Mariner, July 30, 2019
3. New Retail & Office Complex at Former Albion House Site
(King Street elevation • south)
New Retail & Office Complex at Former Albion House Site image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Cosmos Mariner, July 30, 2019
4. New Retail & Office Complex at Former Albion House Site
(Queen Street elevation • north)
Identical marker is visible near right edge of building façade.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on May 21, 2020. It was originally submitted on May 20, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 153 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on May 21, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=150291

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 12, 2024