Giddings in Lee County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
First Baptist Church of Giddings
Founded 1872. In 1873 had 16 members, with J. Budd as pastor. First building (1881) was west of present site.
Pastors serving 10 to 15 years in church's century of growth to 300 members: Q. T. Simpson, W. W. Burr, Peter DeYoung, H. L. McLerran, J. W. Tripp. Present pastor is evangelist John Karcher.
Erected 1972 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 8146.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical year for this entry is 1872.
Location. 30° 10.878′ N, 96° 56.274′ W. Marker is in Giddings, Texas, in Lee County. Marker is at the intersection of South Main Street (U.S. 77) and West Richmond Street, on the right when traveling south on South Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 289 South Main Street, Giddings TX 78942, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Milton Garrett York, Sr. (within shouting distance of this marker); Lee County (within shouting distance of this marker); City of Giddings (within shouting distance of this marker); Lee County Courthouse (within shouting distance of this marker); General Robert E. Lee / Colonel Robert E. Lee (within shouting distance of this marker); Fletcher Home (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); First Presbyterian Church (about 500 feet away); J. D. Giddings Lodge No. 280, A. F. & A. M. (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Giddings.
Credits. This page was last revised on November 27, 2020. It was originally submitted on May 22, 2020, by Brian Anderson of Humble, Texas. This page has been viewed 161 times since then and 29 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on May 22, 2020, by Brian Anderson of Humble, Texas.