Hereford in Deaf Smith County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Hereford Christian College
Hereford College opened 1902 as co-educational public school in newly-built, 3-story main building. By 1903, college was transferred to Christian Church for needed financial support. Renamed Add-Ran College. The next year, name changed to Panhandle Christian College. Relying on tuition alone for support, college was forced to close in 1912. Housed Hereford High School, 1915-26.
This marker is mounted on Roswell, New Mexico, brownstone from the old main building. (1966) Erected by college ex-students in tribute to early Christian leaders.
Erected 1966 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 2460.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Education.
Location. 34° 49.505′ N, 102° 23.699′ W. Marker is in Hereford, Texas, in Deaf Smith County. Marker is at the intersection of Union Avenue and Avenue G, on the right when traveling west on Union Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Hereford TX 79045, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Thompson House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Hereford High SchoolQuanah Parker Trail (approx. 0.2 miles away); Ghost Towns (approx. half a mile away); Mothers Park (approx. half a mile away); Two-Wheel Fire Hose Reel (approx. half a mile away); Former Site of St. Anthony's Catholic School (approx. half a mile away); a different marker also named Quanah Parker Trail (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Hereford.
Credits. This page was last revised on May 25, 2020. It was originally submitted on May 24, 2020, by Allen Lowrey of Amarillo, Texas. This page has been viewed 116 times since then and 52 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on May 24, 2020, by Allen Lowrey of Amarillo, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.