Near Arney in Castro County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Among the early settlers in northeast Castro County were George and Jim Arney, two brothers from Missouri, for whom Arney community was named. A school was started in 1901 for the children of settlers and ranch hands. The first schoolhouse, a one-room frame structure, also housed services of Arney Baptist Church, which was organized in 1905. Arney School operated until 1953, when it was consolidated with other districts. The school building then served as a community center and polling place. (1985)
Erected 1985 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 207.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Education.
Location. 34° 41.244′ N, 102° 6.137′ W. Marker is near Arney, Texas, in Castro County. Marker is on Farm to Market Road 1075 near Highway 168, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 13250 FM 1075, Happy TX 79042, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 4 other markers are within 12 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies Holy Family Cemetery (approx. 9.7 miles away); Holy Family Catholic Church (approx. 9.8 miles away); Home Mercantile (approx. 9.9 miles away); Summerfield-Dameron Corner (approx. 12 miles away).
Credits. This page was last revised on May 25, 2020. It was originally submitted on May 24, 2020, by Allen Lowrey of Amarillo, Texas. This page has been viewed 268 times since then and 128 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on May 24, 2020, by Allen Lowrey of Amarillo, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.