Clayton in Contra Costa County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
The Eucalyptus Grove
George Scammon owed most of the remaining lots and planted eucalyptus seeds around the property in 1876. In 1882 Keller sold his property. In 1907 the Mitchell Family acquired the property and the house burned down in 1973.
In 1978 many of the 38 eucalyptus trees fell victim to drought stress and in 1992 these 120 foot tall, 114 year old trees were removed for safety reasons.
The eucalyptus grove had always been used for community activities. Because of this, the site was purchased by the City on October 7, 1999.
"The Grove" Park was dedicated January 12, 2008.
Erected 2016 by Clayton Historical Society and E Clampus Vitus, Joaquin Murrieta Chapter No. 13.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Horticulture & Forestry • Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the E Clampus Vitus series list.
Location. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 6096 Main Street, Clayton CA 94517, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Growler Saloon – Goethals Building (a few steps from this marker); The Joel Clayton House (within shouting distance of this marker); Clayton Museum Educational Garden (within shouting distance of this marker); Farming & Ranching in Clayton (within shouting distance of this marker); Joaquin Murrieta (within shouting distance of this marker); The Clayton Club (within shouting distance of this marker); The Clayton Post Office (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Black Diamond Way (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Clayton.
Credits. This page was last revised on May 24, 2020. It was originally submitted on May 24, 2020, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. This page has been viewed 269 times since then and 102 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on May 24, 2020, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California.