Rancho Cucamonga in San Bernardino County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
Etiwanda School District
Established in 1883 at the corner of East Avenue and Baseline, amidst the grape vineyards and citrus groves, the Etiwanda School District started as a one-room wooden school building for grades one through twelve. The school district moved to the current site at the corner of Victoria and Etiwanda Avenue in 1890 and constructed a two-room wooden building. In 1901, Etiwanda School District expanded to include Grapeland School District, which had already merged with the Perdew School District in 1899. The wooden building was replaced with a four-room brick school house in 1912. In 1938, at a cost of $55,639, the brick building was replaced with a much larger structure which included the present auditorium and two adjoining wings that have been the basis for all future renovations. The school board worked with the County Superintendent of Schools until 1960, when it appointed its first superintendent, Sidney G. Moses. The second superintendent, Carleton P. Lightfoot, was appointed in 1961 and served in that capacity until 1992. With the opening of Summit Elementary in 1967, the school was transformed to an intermediate school for grades five through
By Levi Gonzalez, May 15, 2020
1. Etiwanda School District Marker
By Craig Baker, June 12, 2020
2. Etiwanda School District Marker
Click or scan to see
eight. The red brick gymnasium was added to the site in 1973 at a cost of $335,277. In 1986, the school board meetings and district office relocated to a new site on East Avenue. When the school was totally remodeled in 1997, at a cost of $5.5 million, the clock tower and outdoor stage/lunch structure were added. Etiwanda School continues to serve as a focal point for the students and the community.
this page online
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Education.
Location. 34° 7.654′ N, 117° 31.396′ W. Marker is in Rancho Cucamonga, California, in San Bernardino County. Marker is on Etiwanda Avenue 0.1 miles south of Victoria Street, on the right when traveling north. Marker is attached to the wall near the entrance of Etiwanda Intermediate School. Behind the flag poles. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 6989 Etiwanda Avenue, Rancho Cucamonga CA 91739, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Frost Brothers General Store (within shouting distance of this marker); Johnston House & "Office" (within shouting distance of this marker); Isle House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Ellena/Regina Winery (Filippi Winery) (approx. 0.8 miles away); Garrett & Co. Winery (Virginia Dare Winery) (approx. 0.9 miles away); A Tribute to the Rich History of Wine Making in Rancho Cucamonga
(approx. 0.9 miles away); Etiwanda Grape Products Company Site (approx. one mile away); The Vintners Walk (approx. 2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Rancho Cucamonga.
By Craig Baker, June 12, 2020
3. Etiwanda School
1938 auditorium and two adjoining wings. The marker is at far right.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 12, 2020. It was originally submitted on May 25, 2020, by Levi Gonzalez of Rancho Cucamonga, California. This page has been viewed 79 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on May 25, 2020, by Levi Gonzalez of Rancho Cucamonga, California. 2, 3. submitted on June 12, 2020, by Craig Baker of Sylmar, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.