Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Irving in Dallas County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Sowers Community

 
 
Sowers Community Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Kayla Harper, May 23, 2020
1. Sowers Community Marker
Inscription.  

By 1856, Edmund D. and Freelove Sowers, who came to Texas from Illinois, owned land in this vicinity. Along with their neighbors, including Jacob and Henry Caster, and William and Lucinda Haley, they farmed, hunted game and cut timber. Ed Sowers also served as a blacksmith.

Sowers opened a general store on his property in the late 1870s, and a small business district developed around it. As additional families came to the area, Sowers donated land that was added to an adjacent burial plot to form the community cemetery. In 1881, he applied for a mail route and opened a post office in his general store. During that same time, Sowers built a schoolhouse for local children. In the 1880s, several physicians came to the Sowers community, including William Wilson, Alfred Gregory and Daniel Webster Gilbert, who had a local drugstore. Dr. John Haley, a Sowers native who would later serve as mayor of Irving, began his medical practice here in 1897.

With medical services and the post office, the Sowers community served as a center for area farming communities. Ed and Freelove Sowers held annual Fourth of July picnics and other
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
festivals, inviting families from the region to camp, dance, compete in baseball games and enjoy barbecue dinners.

Despite the growth of nearby Irving, the Sowers community, with strong foundations in the dairy and poultry businesses, survived until the 1950s. The Sowers School consolidated with Irving schools in 1955, and Irving annexed the community itself in 1954 and 1956. Today, the businesses and homes are gone. Only the cemetery remains as a link to the Sowers community.
 
Erected 2005 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 13736.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & CommerceSettlements & Settlers.
 
Location. 32° 49.718′ N, 96° 59.393′ W. Marker is in Irving, Texas, in Dallas County. Marker is on West Pioneer Drive east of Fouts Drive, on the left when traveling east. The marker is in front of the Irving ISD Special Education Annex. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 3207 West Pioneer Drive, Irving TX 75061, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Dr. Franklin Monroe Gilbert (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Daniel Webster Gilbert, M.D. (about 400 feet away); Sowers Cemetery (about 400 feet away); Site of the Dr. D. W. Gilbert Homestead
Sowers Community Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Kayla Harper, May 23, 2020
2. Sowers Community Marker
(approx. ¾ mile away); Haley Memorial Cemetery (approx. 0.9 miles away); Bear Creek Community (approx. one mile away); Jackie Mae Townsell (approx. one mile away); Shelton’s Bear Creek Cemetery (approx. 1.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Irving.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on May 26, 2020. It was originally submitted on May 25, 2020, by Kayla Harper of Dallas, Texas. This page has been viewed 344 times since then and 150 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on May 25, 2020, by Kayla Harper of Dallas, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=150477

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jun. 13, 2024