Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Rexton in Kent County, New Brunswick — The Atlantic Provinces (North America)
 

The Bridges / Les Ponts

 
 
The Bridges / Les Ponts Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Cosmos Mariner, July 29, 2019
1. The Bridges / Les Ponts Marker
Inscription.  
English:
The Bridges
In the beginning it was the river and the abundance of natural resources in the area that brought the settlers here; but, years later, it would be the building of the bridge across the Richibucto that would enable Kingston (renamed Rexton in 1901) to flourish as a community.

Although the original proposal was for a bridge to be built further downriver, it was the political influence of a local merchant J. & W. Brait that had it located in Rexton, Of wooden construction, it was eventually started in 1846 and completed in 1850. It stood until the night of October 29th, 1879 when a great wind and flood which wreaked havoc along the river, brought down the wooden piers. It was rebuilt twice over the next number of years.

The deteriorating structure was finally replaced in 1900 with a steel bridge that had a draw span at the south end. It served the community well for over half a century and, in fact, continues its service today. Its small truss span is now at the north end of the Main River Bridge (about 10 miles upriver), where it replaced a wooden Howe truss. The new
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
Rexton Bridge opened in 1956.

Dedicated to the memory of Thomas Girban in recognition of his dedicated service to the Village of Rexton as a member of village council. Dedicated November 17, 2001. Term: March 1967 – May 1971

Français:
Les Ponts
À l'origine, la rivière et l'abondance de ressources naturelles qu'on y retrouve portèrent les premiers colons à s'installer dans cette région. Toutefois, bien des années plus tard, la construction du pont traversant la rivière Richibucto serait le facteur déterminant de l'épanouissement de Kingston (renommé Rexton en 1901) en tant que communauté.

Bien que la proposition initiale voulut que le pont soit construit en aval de la ville, l'influence politique des marchands locaux J. & W. Brait détermina qu'il serait construit à Rexton. Entièrement fait de bois, sa construction fut éventuellement amorcée en 1846 et complétée en 1850. Il se tint fièrement debout jusqu'à la nuit du 29 octobre 1879 lorsqu'un grand vent et une inondation, causant de grands dommages tout au long de la rivière, firent crouler ses piliers de bois. Il fut reconstruit deux fois au cours des années qui suivirent.

La structure, qui se détériorait, fut finalement remplacée en 1900 par un pont tournant d'acier, muni d'une travée pivotante à son extrémité sud. Il fut très utile à la communauté
Marker detail: Rexton Bridge / Le Pont Rexton image. Click for full size.
2. Marker detail: Rexton Bridge / Le Pont Rexton
“20 dollars fine for driving a horse or any animal faster than a walk on any portion of this bridge”

« Amende de 20 dollars pour toute promenade á cheval ou dut autre animal plus rapide que la marche, sur toute partie de ce pont »
pendant plus d'un demi-siècle et, de fait, sert encore aujourd'hui. Sa travée de petites poutres est maintenant à l'extrémité nord du pont Main River (environ 16 kilomètres en amont), où elle remplace une poutre Howe de bois. Le nouveau pont de Rexton fut ouvert à la circulation en 1956.

Dédié à la mémoire de Thomas Girban en reconnaissance de ses services dévoués au village de Rexton en tant que membre du conseil du village. Dédié le 17 novembre 2001. Mandat : mars 1967 – mai 1971
 
Erected 2001 by Village of Rexton.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Bridges & ViaductsSettlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1850.
 
Location. 46° 38.626′ N, 64° 52.324′ W. Marker is in Rexton, New Brunswick, in Kent County. Marker is on Rue Main (New Brunswick Route 134) north of River Street, on the right when traveling north. Marker is located just south of the Rexton Bridge, overlooking the bridge and the Richibucto River. Touch for map. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Dr. William Francis Kenney and Dr. Francis William Kenney (about 180 meters away, measured in a direct line); The Honourable Shawn Michael Graham (about 180 meters away); Saint John's the Evangelist Anglican Church (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); The Masts / Les Mâts
Marker detail: 1890 Bridge Article image. Click for full size.
3. Marker detail: 1890 Bridge Article
The Review, Richibucto, New Brunswick, July 17, 1890
Kingston Notes.
Everybody is complaining of the neglected state of the bridge. One day last week while a loaded team driven by Mr. Wm Jardine was crossing, one of the spans was heard to crack and settle. Mr. J. returned with a lot of chains and planks and tied it up. The span still remains in this state. Nearly all the freight from the station must be hauled across this bridge; scarce a minute of the day and scarce an hour of the night passes without some vehicle or foot passenger passing here and yet nothing is done to keep it in repair. There are a dozen dangerous holes through which a child might fall or a man or woman break their legs and yet no move is made to prevent such accidents. Perhaps after a few have been drowned and a few more maimed, somebody will move in the matter. Sometimes it is found impossible to open the draw and tug-boats and schooners are delayed in consequence. How long shall the public be compelled to endure this state of things? Where is the Hon. Com. Public Works?
(approx. 0.4 kilometers away); Wooden Ships and Iron Men / Navires en Bois et Hommes de Fer (approx. half a kilometer away); The Historic Village of Rexton (approx. half a kilometer away); Le Village Historique de Rexton (approx. half a kilometer away); Hannay's Limited (approx. half a kilometer away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Rexton.
 
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. Village of Rexton, New Brunswick
 
Also see . . .  Village of Rexton. (this link includes a good aerial view of the bridge) Fishing, lumbering and shipbuilding flourished throughout the 19th century. The first bridge over the Richibucto River was completed there in 1850, improving commerce and communications in the region. (Submitted on May 26, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.) 
 
The Bridges / Les Ponts Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Cosmos Mariner, July 29, 2019
4. The Bridges / Les Ponts Marker
(Rexton Bridge and Richibucto River in background)
Rexton Bridge • Richibucto River image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Cosmos Mariner, July 29, 2019
5. Rexton Bridge • Richibucto River
(looking southwest from northeast side of bridge, across river from marker)
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on May 27, 2020. It was originally submitted on May 26, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 130 times since then and 13 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on May 26, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=150500

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 19, 2024