Takoma Park in Montgomery County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
The first church in Takoma Park was built on this site in 1888. This community gathering spot hosted non-denominational Christian services, lectures, plays and Town Council meetings. In 1893, the main congregation incorporated as a Presbyterian church. The larger stone sanctuary at the corner of Tulip and Maple Avenues was added in 1922. The original wooden structure remained until 1949 when it was torn down to create the current Education Building.
Sign placed here in 2018 in celebration of 125 years of faithful Presbyterian worship at this location.
Erected 2018 by Takoma Park Presbyterian Church.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion.
Location. 38° 58.631′ N, 77° 0.788′ W. Marker is in Takoma Park, Maryland, in Montgomery County. Marker is on Maple Avenue just north of Tulip Avenue when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 7207 Maple Ave, Takoma Park MD 20912, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Thomas / Siegler House and Garden (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct Our Flag Display (about 500 feet away); Original Federal Boundary Stone, District of Columbia, Northeast 2 (about 800 feet away); Scott H. Lawson (approx. 0.2 miles away); Early Takoma (approx. 0.2 miles away); Roscoe (approx. 0.2 miles away); Veterans Memorial (approx. 0.3 miles away); In Memory of Sgt. Christopher Thornton (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Takoma Park.
Credits. This page was last revised on May 26, 2020. It was originally submitted on May 26, 2020, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. This page has been viewed 40 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on May 26, 2020, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia.