Irving in Dallas County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Virginia natives John W. and Jestine Gorbit had a farm in this area by 1850. A settlement known as Gorbit grew up around it and became a stop on a pre-Civil War postal route. In 1855, Jonathan Story moved here from Illinois with his wife and 13 children. Story's son, Isaac "Ike," who later returned to Illinois for several years, settled in Gorbit with his wife and children in 1873. He opened a store and in 1889 established a post office; his second wife, Mary Elizabeth, was the first postmaster. Because of confusion with a similarly named town, the Gorbit post office and settlement were renamed Kit in 1894. Residents established Kit Cemetery in 1896 near Ike Story's store.
Early area schools included one that began in the late 1850s, with Hezekiah Lucas as teacher. Mark Callister Lively opened a school in 1890. Lively School served the Kit Community and functioned as the worship space for the area's first Catholic and Church of Christ congregations. Kit residents established Kit School in 1902.
The Town of Irving was founded in 1903 west of the community, along the tracks of the Rock Island Railroad. Some of Kit's businesses
Erected 2005 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 14677.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 32° 48.516′ N, 96° 55.557′ W. Marker is in Irving, Texas, in Dallas County. Marker is at the intersection of East Irving Boulevard and East 6th Street, on the right when traveling east on East Irving Boulevard. The marker is in a traffic island between E. Irving Blvd., E. 6th St. and South Irving Heights Dr. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 605 South Irving Heights Drive, Irving TX 75060, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Old Kit Cemetery (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); First Baptist Church of Irving (approx. 1.2 miles away); Joffre-Gilbert House (approx. 1.4 miles away); Schulze House (approx. 1.4 miles away); City of Irving (approx. 1.8 miles away); Union Bower Community (approx. 1.9 miles away); St. Luke Catholic Church (approx. 2 miles away); El Camposanto de Cemento Grande de la Compania Trinity Portland (approx. 2.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Irving.
Credits. This page was last revised on May 27, 2020. It was originally submitted on May 27, 2020, by Kayla Harper of Dallas, Texas. This page has been viewed 48 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on May 27, 2020, by Kayla Harper of Dallas, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.