Peoria in Peoria County, Illinois — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Militia units from Illinois and Missouri erected Fort Clark in 1813, in the area that is now downtown Peoria. In 1825 the city was named as the seat of the newly created Peoria County. Peoria was surveyed and laid cut in 1826 by William S. Hamilton, son of Alexander Hamilton. It was incorporated as a town in 1837 and as a city in 1844. At the Peoria Courthouse on October 16, 1854, Abraham Lincoln delivered one of his first speeches denouncing slavery. His remarks were a reply
The city's economy is broadly based in agri-business, manufacturing, distribution and services. Heavy construction equipment, wire and wire products, medical services and research, marketing, and communications are major industries. Peoria is the home of Bradley University, a private co-educational institution founded in 1897 with a bequest from Lydia Moss Bradley.
Erected 1986 by Illinois Department of Transportation and The Illinois State Historical Society.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Exploration • Industry & Commerce • Native Americans • Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Illinois State Historical Society series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1673.
Location. 40° 47.601′ N, 89° 34.83′ W. Marker is in Peoria, Illinois, in Peoria County. Marker is on West Detweiller Drive, 0.2 miles west of North Galena Road (Illinois Route 29), in the median. Marker is located within Detweiller Park. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 8327 N Galena Rd, Peoria IL 61615, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Peoria's First Airport (approx. 1.8 miles away); Pimiteoui (approx. 3.3 miles away); R. G. LeTourneau's Steel HouseSpringdale Cemetery (approx. 4.9 miles away); Revolutionary War Veteran (approx. 5 miles away); Springdale Cemetery & Mausoleum (approx. 5.1 miles away); Zeally Moss (approx. 5.2 miles away); a different marker also named Zeally Moss (approx. 5.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Peoria.
Credits. This page was last revised on May 28, 2020. It was originally submitted on May 27, 2020, by Duane and Tracy Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 315 times since then and 97 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on May 27, 2020, by Duane and Tracy Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee. • Devry Becker Jones was the editor who published this page.