Irving in Dallas County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
First Baptist Church of Irving
When the town of Irving was founded in 1903, developers Julius Otto Schulze and Otis Brown set aside parcels of land for the Baptist, Church of Christ, and Catholic denominations. The new town grew steadily, and by January 1904 the Irving Baptist Church was organized. Led by the Rev. Dr. J. B. Gambrell, the congregation began with eighteen charter members. The Rev. W. J. Shipman was called as First Pastor, and he conducted worship services once a month.
Early worship services were held in a local schoolhouse, in rented quarters, and in a temporary tabernacle on this site until a permanent structure was completed in 1911. The Rev. W. T. Newsom became the congregation's first full-time pastor in 1920. The name was changed from Irving Baptist Church to First Baptist Church of Irving in 1940. A new sanctuary was completed in 1951, and by 1964 the church's facilities had expanded to include an entire city block.
The First Baptist Church has grown with the City of Irving. Since its humble beginnings in 1904, the church's services to the community have grown to include a variety of worship, educational, missionary, and outreach
Erected 1991 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 6690.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion.
Location. 32° 48.629′ N, 96° 56.784′ W. Marker is in Irving, Texas, in Dallas County. Marker is on W 4th Street, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 403 S Main Street, Irving TX 75060, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Joffre-Gilbert House (approx. ¼ mile away); Schulze House (approx. ¼ mile away); City of Irving (approx. 0.6 miles away); St. Luke Catholic Church (approx. ¾ mile away); Old Kit Cemetery (approx. 1.1 miles away); Kit Community (approx. 1.2 miles away); Site of the Dr. D. W. Gilbert Homestead (approx. 2.2 miles away); Union Bower Community (approx. 2.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Irving.
Credits. This page was last revised on May 27, 2020. It was originally submitted on May 27, 2020, by Kayla Harper of Dallas, Texas. This page has been viewed 57 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on May 27, 2020, by Kayla Harper of Dallas, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.