Quincy in Adams County, Illinois — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
First United Presbyterian Church, 1879
8th & Broadway
Gothic Revival Style
Robert Bunce, Architect
Construction began in May, 1875, but stalled when a violent storm collapsed the walls of the new church. Calamity struck again when fire consumed the building three days before its dedication. The congregation completely rebuilt the church and dedicated it on November 29, 1879. The majestic limestone church graced the city for nearly a century but was ultimately destroyed by fire on June 17, 1976.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Disasters.
Location. 39° 55.894′ N, 91° 24.618′ W. Marker is in Quincy, Illinois, in Adams County. Marker is on South 4th Street (Route 57) just south of Maine Street (U.S. 24), on the left when traveling north. Marker is behind the History Museum, which is home to the Historical Society of Adams County and Quincy. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 332 South Maine Street, Quincy IL 62301, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Quincy Senior High School (a few steps from this marker); Ruff Brewing CompanyThe Lord's Barn (a few steps from this marker); Crockets from Portico (a few steps from this marker); Limestone Capitals (within shouting distance of this marker); Search for Equality (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Mormons in Quincy (about 300 feet away); Lincoln's Friend Johnston (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Quincy.
Credits. This page was last revised on May 28, 2020. It was originally submitted on May 27, 2020, by Jason Voigt of Glen Carbon, Illinois. This page has been viewed 33 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on May 27, 2020, by Jason Voigt of Glen Carbon, Illinois. • Devry Becker Jones was the editor who published this page.