Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Belton in Bell County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Cochran, Blair and Potts Department Store

 
 
Cochran, Blair and Potts Department Store Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Larry D. Moore, May 27, 2020
1. Cochran, Blair and Potts Department Store Marker
Inscription.  Henry Mansfield Cook opened his first store in Centerville, Texas, in 1869, and in 1874 established the firm of H.M. Cook & Company with his son-in-law, Thomas W. Cochran. The firm moved to Buffalo, Texas, in 1876. Their mercantile business stocked dry goods, hardware, drugs, coffins, and included a lumberyard. The firm relocated to Belton in 1883 and opened a store at this site in 1884. Cook's son, Thomas A., joined the firm in 1896 and the business became known as Cook, Cochran, & Company.

In 1904, three years after the death of H.M. Cook, Cochran's son, Harry T., and his son-in-law, Jesse S. Blair, purchased Thomas Cook's interest in the firm and the business became known as T.W. Cochran and Company. T.W. Cochran died in 1910 and his son-in-law, Arthur H. Potts, became a partner in the company. In 1917 the firm became known as Cochran, Blair, & Potts.

Though the firm's inventory was destroyed by fire in 1928 the business reopened in 1929 under the management of J.S. Blair, H.T. Cochran, A.H. Potts, H.E. Blair, and Roy Campbell Potts. The corporation was dissolved in 1938 and the business became a partnership owned by
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
members of the Cochran, Blair, and Potts families. The firm, which became solely owned by descendants of Roy Campbell Potts in 1970, was incorporated in 1977.
 
Erected 1994 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 928.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Industry & Commerce. A significant historical year for this entry is 1869.
 
Location. 31° 3.347′ N, 97° 27.721′ W. Marker is in Belton, Texas, in Bell County. Marker is at the intersection of South Penelope Street and East Central Avenue, on the right when traveling south on South Penelope Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 221 E Central Ave, Belton TX 76513, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Site of the Central Manufacturing Co. (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Keifer Marshall, Jr. (about 500 feet away); Bell County Courthouse (about 500 feet away); Patriot Way Brick Walk (about 500 feet away); Belton Farmers Co-op Gin (about 500 feet away); Bell County Confederate Memorial (about 600 feet away); Bell County Courthouses (about 600 feet away); Patriot Way Brick Walk Project (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Belton.
 
Cochran, Blair and Potts Department Store Marker Area image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Larry D. Moore, May 27, 2020
2. Cochran, Blair and Potts Department Store Marker Area
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on May 28, 2020. It was originally submitted on May 28, 2020, by Larry D. Moore of Del Valle, Texas. This page has been viewed 316 times since then and 39 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on May 28, 2020, by Larry D. Moore of Del Valle, Texas.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=150613

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jun. 20, 2024