Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Marshalltown in Marshall County, Iowa — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
 

Henry Anson

April 19, 1826 - November 30, 1905

— Founder of Marshalltown —

 
 
Henry Anson Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Cosmos Mariner, August 7, 2013
1. Henry Anson Marker
Inscription.  Here stands the mature image of Henry Anson, a third generation American who founded Marshall, Iowa in 1853. With his determined and outspoken leadership, the town became the seat of county government in 1860. Later named Marshalltown, the community benefited from Anson’s lifetime interest in making land available for early railroad and school use as well as for this 1886 Court House where a grateful community held his funeral in 1905.

The statue commemorates Marshalltown’s
Sesquicentennial in 2003.
The sculptor was Chris Bennett of Keosauqua, Iowa

 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1853.
 
Location. 42° 2.934′ N, 92° 54.727′ W. Marker is in Marshalltown, Iowa, in Marshall County. Marker is on East Main Street east of South Center Street, on the right when traveling east. Marker and monument are located on the walkway directly in front of the Marshall County Courthouse. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1 East Main Street, Marshalltown IA 50158, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 2
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
other markers are within 13 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Marshall County Freedom Rock (approx. 1.3 miles away); Conrad Freedom Rock Veterans Memorial (approx. 12.4 miles away).
 
Also see . . .
1. Henry Anson. Henry, humorously called "Hank, the Red-headed Yankee", was a versatile chap of many talents. He extracted teeth with a pair of bullet molds and he also served as local land agent (locating and filing claims for those settling here), Justice of the Peace, had his own conveyancing and surveying business, was appointed County Supervisor, and was general promoter of population growth, welcoming any and all settlers westward bound who could be prevailed upon to stop at his house for rest, refreshment and permanent settlement. (Submitted on May 29, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.) 

2. Marshalltown, Iowa (Wikipedia). Henry Anson was the first European settler in what is now called Marshalltown. In April 1851, Anson found what he described as “the prettiest place in Iowa.” On a high point between the Iowa River and Linn Creek, Anson built a log cabin. With the help of Potawatomi chief Johnny Green, Anson persuaded early settlers to stay in the area. In the mid-1850s, Anson donated land for a county courthouse. Residents donated money for the building's construction. In 1863 the title
Henry Anson Marker & Monument image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Cosmos Mariner, August 7, 2013
2. Henry Anson Marker & Monument
of county seat transferred from the village of Marietta to Marshalltown. (Submitted on May 29, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.) 

3. Early Marshalltown Schools. The first school in Marshalltown was a cabin located just west of the town site, in use just two years after the first settlement of the town in 1851. Later a frame building was erected on the corner of State and Second Streets. When these schools became too small to serve the growing student population, a two-story brick building was erected at North Center and State Streets. Henry Anson, founder of Marshalltown, was instrumental in promoting the new school which served as a "juvenile", grammar, and high school. (Submitted on May 29, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.) 
 
Henry Anson Statue image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Cosmos Mariner, August 7, 2013
3. Henry Anson Statue
(Marshall County Courthouse in background)
Marshall County Courthouse image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Cosmos Mariner, August 7, 2013
4. Marshall County Courthouse
(marker and monument visible behind United States flag pole)
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on May 29, 2020. It was originally submitted on May 29, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 642 times since then and 170 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on May 29, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=150691

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jun. 20, 2024