Rome in Floyd County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Principal Chief of the Cherokee Tribe of Indians, moved to this spot about 1794 and built this dwelling. Modernized by later owners.
His ferry & trading post made this farm a tribal center. Here was negotiated final treaty for the Cherokee removal, 1835 – 1838
Erected 1936 by Works Progress Administration.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Native Americans. In addition, it is included in the Works Progress Administration (WPA) projects series list.
Location. 34° 16.617′ N, 85° 10.215′ W. Marker is in Rome, Georgia, in Floyd County. Marker is at the intersection of Riverside Parkway and Riverside Industrial Park, NE, on the left when traveling north on Riverside Parkway. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 501 Riverside Parkway, Rome GA 30161, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Chieftains (here, next to this marker); Original Cabin (approx. 0.6 miles away); Martha Berry’s Birthplace (approx. De Soto In Georgia (approx. 1.1 miles away); Federal Occupation of Rome (approx. 1.1 miles away); French’s Div. at Rome (approx. 1.1 miles away); Davis’ March to Rome (approx. 1.1 miles away); Berry College (approx. 1.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Rome.
Regarding Major Ridge. Ridge, the English translation of his Cherokee name, fought with General Andrew Jackson in the War of 1812, where he was awarded the rank of major.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 25, 2020. It was originally submitted on January 5, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,020 times since then and 16 times this year. Last updated on January 5, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. Photos: 1. submitted on January 2, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. 2. submitted on December 30, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.