Silverton in Briscoe County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Site of Holt School
(2 miles east)
In 1913, G.C. Holt moved his wife and eight children to the Briscoe-Floyd county line. Because of the distance to the nearest school, Holt and neighbor E.M. Lawson organized the Holt school district, commissioned on September 7, 1920 with two acres of land. In 1921, trustees built a one-room frame schoolhouse, and it opened with 15 students, one teacher and courses for grades 1-7. Over the years, teachers often boarded with local families. The school closed in 1933 during the Great Depression, and the building stood vacant until 1944, when it was dismantled. Later, an irrigation well for area farms was located on the former school site. (2005)
Erected 2005 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 13111.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Education.
Location. 34° 19.049′ N, 101° 26.052′ W. Marker is in Silverton, Texas, in Briscoe County. Marker is on Farm to Market Road 378, on the left when traveling south. The marker is just south of County Road A. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Silverton TX 79257, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. Francis School (approx. 4.9 miles away); Trinity Lutheran Church (approx. 7.2 miles away); Site of Reeves Post Office (approx. 7.4 miles away); Site of Celtic Post Office (approx. 7.6 miles away); First Baptist Church of Claytonville (approx. 9.4 miles away); Palo Duro Canyon (approx. 12.4 miles away); Quanah Parker Trail (approx. 12.4 miles away); a different marker also named Quanah Parker Trail (approx. 12.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Silverton.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 1, 2020. It was originally submitted on May 31, 2020, by Allen Lowrey of Amarillo, Texas. This page has been viewed 98 times since then and 21 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on May 31, 2020, by Allen Lowrey of Amarillo, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.