Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Friendsville in Blount County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
 

Friendsville

 
 
Friendsville Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Duane and Tracy Marsteller, May 30, 2020
1. Friendsville Marker
Inscription.  This village, 8 mi. W., was founded by a colony of Quakers from New Garden, N. C., in the 1790's. The Newberry Meeting officially recognized it in 1808. The first Friends' organization in the county, it is the only one surviving. Friendsville Academy, opened in 1857, has been in continuous operation.
 
Erected by Tennessee Historical Commission. (Marker Number 1E 57.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & ReligionEducationSettlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Quakerism, and the Tennessee Historical Commission series lists. A significant historical year for this entry is 1808.
 
Location. 35° 45.63′ N, 84° 8.049′ W. Marker is in Friendsville, Tennessee, in Blount County. Marker is on West College Avenue close to North Farnum Street (Tennessee Highway 333), on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 206 W College Ave, Friendsville TN 37737, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Friendsville Marble Industry Monument (here, next to this marker); The Underground Railroad
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
(approx. 0.2 miles away); Cloyd's Creek Presbyterian Church (approx. 4.6 miles away); Sam Houston American Giant Homesite (approx. 4.9 miles away); The Marcus Warren House (approx. 4.9 miles away); Samuel Henry's Station (approx. 6.7 miles away); Medal of Honor 17th Michigan Volunteer Regiment (approx. 6.9 miles away); Near the Site of Henry Fort (approx. 6.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Friendsville.
 
Friendsville Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Duane and Tracy Marsteller, May 30, 2020
2. Friendsville Marker
Friends Meeting House image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Duane and Tracy Marsteller, May 30, 2020
3. Friends Meeting House
Located 1/4 mile away at West College and West Hill avenues.
Thatcher Hall image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Duane and Tracy Marsteller, May 30, 2020
4. Thatcher Hall
Built in 1912, it is one of several buildings remaining from the former Friendsville Academy. The boarding school closed in 1975.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on May 31, 2020. It was originally submitted on May 31, 2020, by Duane and Tracy Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 660 times since then and 214 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on May 31, 2020, by Duane and Tracy Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee. • Devry Becker Jones was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=150763

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jul. 21, 2024