Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Miami in Miami-Dade County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Lemon City Post Office

 
 
Lemon City Post Office Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Tim Fillmon, January 24, 2018
1. Lemon City Post Office Marker
Inscription.  The first post office in Lemon City opened on October 1, 1889, in one corner of Moffat’s bayside store. E.L. White was appointed the first postmaster. Lemon City quickly became an active mail center, so much so that the Tropical Sun reported in 1891 that “Lemon City receives more mail… than any other office on Biscayne Bay.” Often the mail was dropped off by ship or train in Lemon City on its way to Miami further south. The post office operated out of the Moffat store until 1891, when it moved to another local store following a quarrel between the postmaster, Garry Niles, and the Moffat Family. During Niles’ tenure as postmaster, the post office moved repeatedly, usually to different stores. It moved into its own building in 1905 under the management of E.L. Eaton, and again in 1910 following the appointment of a new postmaster. During the post office’s 36 years of operation, it moved nine times and had twelve postmasters. Three were women, the first postmistress being Louibelle Goode in 1914. The post office operated independently until 1925, when it became part of the Miami postal system following the annexation of Lemon City.
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
The branch continued to operate until 1974, when it was permanently closed.
 
Erected 2017 by Mayor Thomas Regalado, The City of Miami in Coordination with Alexander Adams and the Florida Department of State. (Marker Number F-945.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical date for this entry is October 1, 1889.
 
Location. 25° 49.959′ N, 80° 11.257′ W. Marker is in Miami, Florida, in Miami-Dade County. Marker is at the intersection of Northeast 4th Court and Northeast 61st Street, on the right when traveling south on Northeast 4th Court. Marker is located at the northwest corner of the intersection. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Miami FL 33137, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Lemon City Train Station (within shouting distance of this marker); Lemon City Library (within shouting distance of this marker); The Cushman School (approx. 0.2 miles away); Bay Shore Water Pump House (approx. ¼ mile away); Lemon City Pharmacy-Dr. Dupuis Office (approx. ¼ mile away); Little Haiti's Mache Ayisyen-"The Caribbean Marketplace" (approx. 0.3 miles away); Historic Lemon Avenue (approx. 0.4 miles away); Lemon City Port (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Miami.
 
Lemon City Post Office Marker under the One Way sign looking north on NE 4th Ct. image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Tim Fillmon, January 24, 2018
2. Lemon City Post Office Marker under the One Way sign looking north on NE 4th Ct.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 1, 2020. It was originally submitted on May 31, 2020, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. This page has been viewed 273 times since then and 57 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on May 31, 2020, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=150774

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 17, 2024