Douglas in Coral Gables in Miami-Dade County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
Coral Gables Woman's Club
Photographed by Tim Fillmon, January 24, 2018
1. Coral Gables Woman's Club Marker
Inscription.
Coral Gables Woman's Club. . The Coral Gables Woman's Club is an icon of civic infrastructure in Coral Gables. After organizing in 1923, club members raised $10,000 to construct this clubhouse on land donated by the city. Designed by preeminent South Florida architect H. George Fink, the building was completed in 1936 by the Works Progress Administration (WPA) using oolitic limestone (coral rock) from a local quarry. It was the first WPA project in Coral Gables. The clubhouse is one of the few remaining premier examples of Great Depression-era Moderne style architecture in Florida. One wing served as the first permanent location of the Library of Coral Gables. The other wing served as the clubhouse for the Womans Club, whose members had organized the library in 1927. To advance community outreach, the club members also established the Coral Gables Children's Dental Clinic here in 1939. The Womans Club took over the entire building after the library relocated in 1969, and continued to use the building for group functions. This building reflects the culture, education, growth and history of Coral Gables, and was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1990.
The Coral Gables Woman's Club is an icon of civic infrastructure in Coral Gables. After organizing in 1923, club members raised $10,000 to construct this clubhouse on land donated by the city. Designed by preeminent South Florida architect H. George Fink, the building was completed in 1936 by the Works Progress Administration (WPA) using oolitic limestone (coral rock) from a local quarry. It was the first WPA project in Coral Gables. The clubhouse is one of the few remaining premier examples of Great Depression-era Moderne style architecture in Florida. One wing served as the first permanent location of the Library of Coral Gables. The other wing served as the clubhouse for the Womans Club, whose members had organized the library in 1927. To advance community outreach, the club members also established the Coral Gables Children's Dental Clinic here in 1939. The Womans Club took over the entire building after the library relocated in 1969, and continued to use the building for group functions. This building reflects the culture, education, growth and history of Coral Gables, and was listed on the National Register of Historic
Click or scan to see this page online
Places in 1990.
Erected 2016 by The Board of Directors and Members of the Coral Gables Woman's Club, and the Florida Department of State. (Marker Number F-895.)
Location. 25° 45.696′ N, 80° 15.46′ W. Marker is in Coral Gables, Florida, in Miami-Dade County. It is in Douglas. It is on East Ponce de Leon Boulevard north of Phoenetia Avenue, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1001 East Ponce de Leon Boulevard, Miami FL 33134, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Regionally, this marker is in South Florida, on the Gold Coast, and in Greater Miami. It is also in the American South and on the Eastern Seaboard. Globally, it is in the North Atlantic Region, North America, a Gulf of Mexico state, the Western Hemisphere, the Western World, and the Anglosphere. Historically, it finds itself in what was once New Spain, the territory of the Mississippian Culture,
Photographed by Tim Fillmon, January 24, 2018
2. Coral Gables Woman's Club Marker
one of the Confederate States of America, and the Antebellum South.
Credits. This page was last revised on February 3, 2023. It was originally submitted on May 31, 2020, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. This page has been viewed 537 times since then and 27 times this year. Photos:1, 2, 3. submitted on May 31, 2020, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.