Pampa in Gray County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Red River Expedition of 1852
Randolph B. Marcy, U.S. Fifth Infantry Captain, and George B. McClellan led a company into the Texas panhandle in 1852 to determine the locations of the headwaters of the Red River. That summer the team discovered two main branches of the Upper Red River that intersect the 100th Meridian. The North Branch is southeast of Pampa. Earlier treaties used the Red River as a boundary, but it was unclear which fork was meant when first defined. In 1896, the South Branch was determined to be the main stream and the boundary between Texas and Oklahoma. (1984, 1996)
Erected 1984 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 4217.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Exploration. A significant historical year for this entry is 1852.
Location. 35° 26.165′ N, 100° 58.394′ W. Marker is in Pampa, Texas, in Gray County. Marker is on Route 70 south of K Road, on the right when traveling south. The marker is approximately 5.5 miles south of Pampa on Highway 70. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Pampa TX 79065, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured Quanah Parker Trail (approx. 6.2 miles away); Woody Guthrie (approx. 6.8 miles away); a different marker also named Quanah Parker Trail (approx. 6.9 miles away); Pioneer Cottage (approx. 6.9 miles away); White Deer Land Building (approx. 6.9 miles away); Oil Discovery in Gray County (approx. 6.9 miles away); Pampa (approx. 6.9 miles away); Pampa City Hall (approx. 6.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Pampa.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 1, 2020. It was originally submitted on May 31, 2020, by Allen Lowrey of Amarillo, Texas. This page has been viewed 245 times since then and 119 times this year. Last updated on May 31, 2020, by Allen Lowrey of Amarillo, Texas. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on May 31, 2020, by Allen Lowrey of Amarillo, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.