Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
South Lyon in Oakland County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

First Presbyterian Church

 
 
First Presbyterian Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Joel Seewald, May 30, 2020
1. First Presbyterian Church Marker
Inscription.  In 1831 fifteen people formed a Presbyterian society in South Lyon, then called "The Corners." These early settlers worshipped in homes and a schoolhouse. The society organized the First Presbyterian Church in 1858 and erected a frame structure the following year. The present Romanesque Revival church consists of the main sanctuary and bell tower, built by William Greig in 1883 at a cost of $5,000, and the two-story chapel and fellowship hall, constructed in 1899. The bell, dated 1885, and the stained glass window in the main facade added in 1899, were donated by the Young People's Christian Association, later known as the Christian Endeavor Society.
 
Erected 1997 by Michigan Historical Center, Michigan Department of State. (Marker Number L1932.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: ArchitectureChurches & Religion. In addition, it is included in the Michigan Historical Commission series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1831.
 
Location. 42° 27.648′ N, 83° 39.006′ W. Marker is in South
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
Lyon, Michigan, in Oakland County. Marker is at the intersection of East Lake Street and North Wells Street, on the left when traveling east on East Lake Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 205 East Lake Street, South Lyon MI 48178, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Little Village Chapel (approx. 0.4 miles away); Washburn School (approx. 0.4 miles away); "Witch's Hat" Depot (approx. 0.4 miles away); Kinsley S. Bingham (approx. 3.1 miles away); That Dammed River (approx. 4.7 miles away); What Happened Here? (approx. 4.9 miles away); Bubbling Waters (approx. 5 miles away); Salem Township Veterans Memorial (approx. 5.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in South Lyon.
 
Also see . . .  180 Years and Still Growing…. History of the church on the church's website. (Submitted on June 1, 2020, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.) 
 
First Presbyterian Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Joel Seewald, May 30, 2020
2. First Presbyterian Church Marker
Plaque near main entrance:
First Presbyterian Church of South Lyon
Built in 1883
Michigan Historical Center, Michigan Department of State
Registered Local Site No. 1932
Property of the State of Michigan, 1995
First Presbyterian Church and Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Joel Seewald, May 30, 2020
3. First Presbyterian Church and Marker
View from the south.
First Presbyterian Church and Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Joel Seewald, May 30, 2020
4. First Presbyterian Church and Marker
View from the southwest.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 1, 2020. It was originally submitted on June 1, 2020, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. This page has been viewed 145 times since then and 26 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on June 1, 2020, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=150822

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
May. 29, 2024