Sunnyvale in Dallas County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Tripp Baptist Church
Pioneers arrived in this area as early as 1845, establishing small settlements that developed over time into the Tripp, Long Creek, Hatterville and New Hope communities. By 1882, Tripp residents attended church services in the local schoolhouse. C.J. Washmon, who owned a local grocery store, served as an early pastor for what became Tripp Baptist Church.
In 1906, the congregation began collecting donations to build a new sanctuary, and in 1916 Kaufman County resident Richard Linn donated the property. The building, dedicated in 1918, was also used by the local Assembly of God congregation. In 1954, the Baptists remodeled the original white frame structure, adding a brick façade as well as three classrooms, a pastor's study and a nursery. Later additions included a bell tower.
Early church activities included summer revivals held under brush arbors, often in conjunction with other churches, and baptisms conducted in area creeks, ponds and cotton gin tanks. Over the years, congregation members have also participated in dinners, Christmas nativities and educational programs, and the church has regularly contributed to home,
In the 1950s, Tripp consolidated with the neighboring towns of Long Creek, Hatterville and New Hope to form the city of Sunnyvale. For decades, the communities had shared resources, including the Long Creek Cemetery, where many church members are buried. Today, the history of Sunnyvale is comprised of the stories from each community, including the long-standing institution that is Tripp Baptist Church.
Erected 2005 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 13405.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 32° 47.677′ N, 96° 33.655′ W. Marker is in Sunnyvale, Texas, in Dallas County. Marker is on East Tripp Road east of Collins Road, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 401 E Tripp Road, Sunnyvale TX 75182, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Long Creek Cemetery (approx. 1.1 miles away); First Baptist Church of Sunnyvale (approx. 2.1 miles away); Lawrence Farmstead (approx. 2.4 miles away); James and Margaret Loving (approx. 2.6 miles away); First Methodist Church of MesquitePublic Education in Mesquite (approx. 2.9 miles away); City of Mesquite (approx. 3 miles away); Sam Bass Train Robbery (approx. 3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Sunnyvale.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 1, 2020. It was originally submitted on June 1, 2020, by Kayla Harper of Dallas, Texas. This page has been viewed 119 times since then and 47 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 1, 2020, by Kayla Harper of Dallas, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.