Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
South Lyon in Oakland County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

"Witch's Hat" Depot

 
 
"Witch's Hat" Depot Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Joel Seewald, May 30, 2020
1. "Witch's Hat" Depot Marker
Inscription.  In the late nineteenth century, the community of South Lyon was served by three rail lines operating from the 1871 Pere Marquette depot, which burned in 1908. By the time this one-story Queen Anne depot was erected by the Grand Trunk Western railroad system in 1909, only two lines came to South Lyon. Featuring a rounded front and a conical roof, the wood-frame structure served as a passenger station until 1955. The City of South Lyon acquired the depot in 1975 and in 1976 moved it to this site. In 1981 the station began its service as the Witch's Hat Depot Museum and a community center.
 
Erected 1984 by Michigan History Division, Department of State. (Marker Number L943.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: ArchitectureRailroads & Streetcars. In addition, it is included in the Michigan Historical Commission series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1871.
 
Location. 42° 27.282′ N, 83° 39.185′ W. Marker is in South Lyon, Michigan, in Oakland County. Marker is on Dorothy Street, 0.1 miles
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
west of South Lafayette Street, on the right when traveling west. The depot is part of Witch's Hat Depot Museum & Park in McHattie Park. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 300 Dorothy Street, South Lyon MI 48178, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Washburn School (within shouting distance of this marker); Little Village Chapel (within shouting distance of this marker); First Presbyterian Church (approx. 0.4 miles away); Kinsley S. Bingham (approx. 3.4 miles away); That Dammed River (approx. 5.1 miles away); Salem Township Veterans Memorial (approx. 5.1 miles away); Rider House (approx. 5.1 miles away); What Happened Here? (approx. 5.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in South Lyon.
 
"Witch's Hat" Depot and Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Joel Seewald, May 30, 2020
2. "Witch's Hat" Depot and Marker
Witch's Hat Depot Museum & Village image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Joel Seewald, May 30, 2020
3. Witch's Hat Depot Museum & Village
The former train station is part of a historical village.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 3, 2020. It was originally submitted on June 2, 2020, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. This page has been viewed 372 times since then and 46 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on June 2, 2020, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=150858

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 17, 2024