Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Knoxville in Knox County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
 

Wait Field

(1908-1920)

 

— The Hill —

 
Wait Field Marker image. Click for full size.
By Duane and Tracy Marsteller, May 30, 2020
1. Wait Field Marker
Inscription.  

Wait Field, the first athletic field on the University of Tennessee campus, was named for beloved longtime faculty member Charles Edmund Wait.

Originally from Little Rock, Arkansas, Wait was a professor of chemistry and metallurgy who served on the faculty from 1888 until his death in 1923. He was an ardent supporter of athletics, and his extensive involvement on campus included service as president of the Athletic Association. Wait Field, completed in 1908, was named to honor his service to the university he helped to build.

The forerunner of Neyland Stadium, which was not constructed until 1921, Wait Field was the site of the first football game on campus. On October 3, 1908, an overflow crowd of 2,000 fans saw Tennessee prevail over the University of North Carolina 12-0 in a spirited contest, with noted sportswriter Grantland Rice serving as referee. The undefeated 1914 football team won Tennessee's first conference title, in the Southern Intercollegiate Athletic Association. In the final game played at Wait Field, Tennessee defeated Kentucky 14-7 on November 25, 1920. The field also served as a home for the baseball
Wait Field Marker image. Click for full size.
By Duane and Tracy Marsteller, May 30, 2020
2. Wait Field Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
team and a site for band practice and military unit drills.

Captions: SIAA Conference Champions, 1914

The UT Battalion circa 1920
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: EducationParks & Recreational AreasSports. A significant historical year for this entry is 1908.
 
Location. 35° 57.423′ N, 83° 55.69′ W. Marker is in Knoxville, Tennessee, in Knox County. Marker is on Phillip Fulmer Way south of Cumberland Avenue (U.S. 70), on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Knoxville TN 37916, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Fort Byington (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); James Rufus Agee (about 400 feet away); General Clifton Bledsoe Cates (about 400 feet away); Desegregation of the University of Tennessee (about 500 feet away); Fort Sanders (about 700 feet away); Land Grant University (about 700 feet away); 79th New York Infantry (Highlanders) Monument (approx. 0.2 miles away); Fort Sanders U.D.C. Monument (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Knoxville.
 
Charles Edmund Wait image. Click for full size.
By Duane and Tracy Marsteller, May 30, 2020
3. Charles Edmund Wait
The UT Battalion Band, circa 1920 image. Click for full size.
By Duane and Tracy Marsteller, May 30, 2020
4. The UT Battalion Band, circa 1920
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 29, 2020. It was originally submitted on June 2, 2020, by Duane Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 88 times since then and 17 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on June 2, 2020, by Duane Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=150867

Paid Advertisement
Oct. 28, 2021