Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Thorndale in Milam County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

San Gabriel Christian Church

 
 
San Gabriel Christian Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Larry D. Moore, June 1, 2020
1. San Gabriel Christian Church Marker
Inscription.  Noted for its many streams and fertile soil, this area of Texas has long been inhabited. Early European institutions included three 18th-century Spanish missions, as well as a presidio. The following century brought many changes. In 1835, the Mexican government granted Abigail McLennan Fokes a league of land that included three future sites of what would become the San Gabriel Christian Church, which began circa the 1840s. The group, known as "Campbellites," first worshiped in private homes. In 1854, Martha Kolb was the church's first documented baptism, and during the next few years many more settlers converted and joined through baptism. In 1859, the San Gabriel Christian Church formally organized.

In 1884, the church built its first sanctuary on land donated by J.W. Hamblen. Known as the Old White Church, it sat on a hill between Pecan Creek and the San Gabriel River. The building and many records survived a fire, but because of frequent flooding the congregation moved in 1901 to a new sanctuary across the river on land donated by Henry F. and Lucy Baird. Weather again affected the congregation when winds severely damaged the
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
building around 1921; in September of that year, heavy flooding washed away the salvaged lumber intended for reuse. In 1924, members constructed a third house of worship at this site, where they remain today.

Over the years, the congregation has been served by many leaders in the Disciples of Christ denomination, including some active in Brite Divinity School at Texas Christian University. In addition to programs and worship, the congregation has given to its community through mission work and other services. Many members are descendants of the original families, who came together more than 150 years ago in worship.
 
Erected 2005 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 13202.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical year for this entry is 1835.
 
Location. 30° 41.687′ N, 97° 11.833′ W. Marker is near Thorndale, Texas, in Milam County. Marker is on County Road 421 west of Farm to Market Road 486, on the right. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 184 Co Rd 421, Thorndale TX 76577, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Locklin Cemetery (approx. 1.1 miles away); Apache Pass River Crossing (approx. 3.6 miles away); Sharp Presbyterian Church
San Gabriel Christian Church and Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Larry D. Moore, June 1, 2020
2. San Gabriel Christian Church and Marker
(approx. 4½ miles away); Site of the Mission Nuestra Señora de la Candelaria (approx. 4.6 miles away); Sharp (approx. 4.6 miles away); Sharp General Store (approx. 4.6 miles away); Site of Mission San Francisco Xavier de Los Dolores (approx. 5 miles away); Sharp Cemetery (approx. 5.2 miles away).
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 3, 2020. It was originally submitted on June 3, 2020, by Larry D. Moore of Del Valle, Texas. This page has been viewed 203 times since then and 31 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on June 3, 2020, by Larry D. Moore of Del Valle, Texas.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=150885

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 21, 2024