Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Cameron in Milam County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

First Baptist Church

of Cameron

 
 
First Baptist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Larry D. Moore, June 1, 2020
1. First Baptist Church Marker
Inscription.  Itinerant ministers J. W. D. Creath and David Fisher organized this church in 1853. The Rev. T. M. Anderson became the congregation's first resident pastor in 1867. Membership was extended to the community's Mexican-Americans in 1914, and in 1919 the church joined the Milam Baptist Association. Church facilities have been expanded over the years to meet changing needs. First Baptist helped organize the Mexican Baptist Church of Cameron in 1925 and Battetown Baptist Church in 1945. The congregation is active in foreign missionary work and continues to serve the community.
 
Erected 1993 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 7944.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical year for this entry is 1853.
 
Location. 30° 51.041′ N, 96° 58.761′ W. Marker is in Cameron, Texas, in Milam County. Marker is at the intersection of West Main Street and South Crockett Avenue, on the right when traveling west on West Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 400 W Main St, Cameron TX 76520, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
within walking distance of this marker. First National Bank of Cameron (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); All Saints Episcopal Church (about 700 feet away); First United Methodist Church of Cameron (about 700 feet away); Milam County Courthouse (approx. 0.2 miles away); Ben Milam (approx. 0.2 miles away); Mrs. Edna Westbrook Trigg (approx. 0.2 miles away); a different marker also named Milam County Courthouse (approx. 0.2 miles away); First Girl's Tomato Club in Texas (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Cameron.
 
First Baptist Church Marker Area image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Larry D. Moore, June 1, 2020
2. First Baptist Church Marker Area
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 5, 2020. It was originally submitted on June 5, 2020, by Larry D. Moore of Del Valle, Texas. This page has been viewed 113 times since then and 10 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on June 5, 2020, by Larry D. Moore of Del Valle, Texas.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=150936

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 16, 2024