Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Caldwell in Burleson County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Caldwell National Bank

 
 
Caldwell National Bank Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Brian Anderson, October 28, 2018
1. Caldwell National Bank Marker
Inscription.  On January 24, 1903, a group of local businessmen under the direction of J. J. Lane and C. C. Nelms met for the purpose of establishing a National Bank. The thirty original stock subscribers who attended pledged $25,000 in organizational capital and the institution opened the following month. Operating under Federal Charter No. 6607, Caldwell National Bank is the first and the oldest publicly owned financial institution in Burleson County.

In 1906, following earlier increases in capital, the business was expanded when the directors voted to purchase the assets of the First National Bank, a Caldwell financial institution under the direction of William Reeves. Three years later, Caldwell National Bank operations were moved to this site. The original building here was later replaced by a larger facility.

Burleson County native C. C. Nelms became President of the bank in 1923 and was named Chairman of the Board in 1953. He died in 1961, following 58 years of service to the institution.

A growing yet stable financial force in Caldwell and in Burleson County, the Caldwell National Bank has been a leader in the development
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
of the community since the turn of the century.
 
Erected 1981 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 7559.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Industry & Commerce. A significant historical date for this entry is January 24, 1903.
 
Location. 30° 31.883′ N, 96° 41.585′ W. Marker is in Caldwell, Texas, in Burleson County. Marker is at the intersection of West Buck Street and South Echols Street, on the right when traveling east on West Buck Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 129 West Buck Street, Caldwell TX 77836, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Burleson County in World War II (within shouting distance of this marker); City of Caldwell (within shouting distance of this marker); Burleson County (within shouting distance of this marker); John Mitchell (within shouting distance of this marker); Warren Lodge No. 56, A.F. & A.M. (within shouting distance of this marker); Early Settlers of Burleson County in the Texas War for Independence (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Burleson County, C.S.A. (about 300 feet away); First United Methodist Church (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Caldwell.
 
Caldwell National Bank image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Brian Anderson, October 28, 2018
2. Caldwell National Bank
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 5, 2020. It was originally submitted on June 5, 2020, by Brian Anderson of Humble, Texas. This page has been viewed 163 times since then and 10 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on June 5, 2020, by Brian Anderson of Humble, Texas.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=150939

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Feb. 27, 2024