Near San Marcos in Hays County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
First Baptist Church
of San Marcos
Under its 1906-1914 pastor, the Rev. B. A. Copass, the church founded and opened (1908) San Marcos Baptist Academy—an institution that is still prospering.
After a destructive 1909 fire, a converted skating rink became the Baptist tabernacle. Present church, completed in 1928, has been enlarged several times.
During its first century, the congregation of First Baptist Church was host to programs featuring some internationally-known, popular orators, including U. S. Senator Joseph Weldon Bailey,
Erected 1974 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 10268.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical year for this entry is 1857.
Location. 29° 50.893′ N, 97° 59.063′ W. Marker is near San Marcos, Texas, in Hays County. Marker can be reached from West McCarty Lane west of Hunter Road, on the left when traveling west. Marker is on the north side of the church building in front of the center entrance. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 325 W McCarty Ln, San Marcos TX 78666, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Pitts Cemetery (approx. 0.8 miles away); Belvin Street Historic District (approx. 2˝ miles away); James Lafayette and Eliza Pitts Malone House (approx. 2˝ miles away); The Cattle Drives (approx. 2.6 miles away); Wonder Cave (approx. 2.6 miles away); Kings Highway (approx. 2.6 miles away); Augusta Hofheinz House (approx. 2.7 miles away); Lloyd Gideon Johnson House (approx. 2.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in San Marcos.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 6, 2020. It was originally submitted on June 6, 2020, by Larry D. Moore of Del Valle, Texas. This page has been viewed 125 times since then and 36 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 6, 2020, by Larry D. Moore of Del Valle, Texas.